POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Which system is the best? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 22:13:32 EDT (-0400)
  Which system is the best? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Difkvol hadani
Subject: Which system is the best?
Date: 16 Mar 2002 04:16:04
Message: <3c930d54@news.povray.org>
Linux, Unix ,Windows or Mac?

Which os do the developers like the most?

Thank you.

Post a reply to this message

From: Deaken
Subject: Re: Which system is the best?
Date: 16 Mar 2002 04:51:47
Message: <3C93165D.9633590B@sw-tech.com>
Difkvol hadani wrote:

> Linux, Unix ,Windows or Mac?

Assuming you mean "for working with POVRay", nobody can answer this for
you.  Which are you most comfortable using?  In which can you attend to the
task at hand without having to jump through hoops?  Will you be doing
anything besides POVRay (animation, post-processing, etc.) with the output?
If so, for which platforms do apps to handle these tasks exist?  Are there
other tools available (such as Perl) for a given platform that you might
need/want?

Personally, I use Windows for raytracing, because while I can create and
edit scenes much faster in unix (vim and perl), seeing the output would take
me quite a bit longer, and seeing it before it finishes would not be an
option.  Plus, my unix (okay, OpenBSD) box is in storage, and I don't
officially have root on my friend's (Linux) machine where I could install
it.

Deaken

Post a reply to this message