POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : job priority ?? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 06:16:45 EDT (-0400)
  job priority ?? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: MR
Subject: job priority ??
Date: 14 Nov 2001 07:09:14
Message: <3bf25eea$1@news.povray.org>
hello,

i've been running some renders at work while i'm trying to
do other stuff and it's eating into the other processes too
heavily.  i've seen references to setting the priority of the
job down.  i looked in the index under: batch, priority, privilege,
and a couple other things and i can't find any information
on how to do it.  is this possible on an NT4 SP6 box, and if
so, how do i do it?

and i guess the question after that is how can i set up pov
to render several different pov files automatically?

i'm getting the fever, aren't i?  hahaha.

thank you, miker

Post a reply to this message

> i've been running some renders at work while i'm trying to
> do other stuff and it's eating into the other processes too
> heavily.  i've seen references to setting the priority of the
> job down.  i looked in the index under: batch, priority, privilege,
> and a couple other things and i can't find any information
> on how to do it.  is this possible on an NT4 SP6 box, and if
> so, how do i do it?
>
> and i guess the question after that is how can i set up pov
> to render several different pov files automatically?
>
> i'm getting the fever, aren't i?  hahaha.
>
> thank you, miker

There are two settings on the menu that will affect how many resources
POV-Ray will use. Go to the render menu and you will see a render
priority dialog and a gui priority dialog. Try setting the render
and gui priority settings to 'lowest' and you will get more priority
for your other programs.

Note: POV-Ray can still be a hungry beast even at the lowest settings
depending upon how resource hungry your other programs are.

To select multiple files to render go to the render menu and select
the file_queue alt+q option which will allow you to select multiple
files that will be rendered in turn depending upon position in the
queue.

--
Ken Tyler

Date: 14 Nov 2001 07:27:12
Message: <qdo4vt0p9q6sk8cn8vuhf536g2pcbmg9bp@4ax.com>
On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 07:08:51 -0500, "MR" <a### [at] bnet> wrote:
> is this possible on an NT4 SP6 box, and if
> so, how do i do it?

You can control priority with POVRAY and with system. For POVRAY control check
"Render menu" with entries "GUI Priority" and "Render Priority". For system
control right click on task bar (I suppose at the bottom of the screen) and from
contex menu choose "Task Manager..." Within processes you can right click on
process name "pvengine" and "Set priority..." But it is possible (if NT support
such control) it is forbidden with your privilages from sysadmin.

ABX
--
#declare _=function(a,b,x){((a^2)+(b^2))^.5-x}#default {pigment{color rgb 1}}
union{plane{y,-3}plane{-x,-3}finish{reflection 1 ambient 0}}isosurface{ //ABX

Post a reply to this message

i'm embarrassed.  next time i'll wander thru the povray menus
for the answer as well as the documentation.

and i believe it worked pretty good.  i didn't run anything heavy
duty but i was able to check my email and elementary things
like that.

thanks again, miker