POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : visible light rays ?? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 06:17:36 EDT (-0400)
  visible light rays ?? (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: MR
Subject: visible light rays ??
Date: 25 Oct 2001 08:21:14
Message: <3bd803ba@news.povray.org>
hello,

i'm sorta uncomfortable asking this question because i figure
it must be a faq somewhere, but i couldn't find it so here goes:

i'd like to have light streaming in a window with the light rays
visible.  how do i do that?  is that a "photon" thing?  i've got
the wall and a desk and i'm modelling a window now, so i'll
need the light rays here soon.

my idea was to throw a light fog in the room and see if the light
catches it, but thats just a guess.

thank you, miker

Post a reply to this message

> i'd like to have light streaming in a window with the light rays
> visible.  how do i do that?  is that a "photon" thing?  i've got
> the wall and a desk and i'm modelling a window now, so i'll
> need the light rays here soon.
>
> my idea was to throw a light fog in the room and see if the light
> catches it, but thats just a guess.

That's the idea, but you have to use a scattering media instead of fog.
IIRC there is an example for this room-with-a-window-and-visible-sunrays
type of scene with standart POV distibution. Look in the "media" directory.

Hope this helps,

Philippe

Post a reply to this message

> i'm sorta uncomfortable asking this question because i figure
> it must be a faq somewhere, but i couldn't find it so here goes:
>
> i'd like to have light streaming in a window with the light rays
> visible.  how do i do that?  is that a "photon" thing?  i've got
> the wall and a desk and i'm modelling a window now, so i'll
> need the light rays here soon.
>
> my idea was to throw a light fog in the room and see if the light
> catches it, but thats just a guess.

Fog won't help, scattering media is the appropriate method.  Look at the
media sample scenes coming with povray to get an idea.  With
megapov/povray 3.5 'method 3' will probably lead to faster and better
results.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

i'm gonna take a look at the media scene files right now.
and then i'll check the pov docs for scattering media.

thanks again, miker

"MR" <a### [at] bnet> wrote in message news:3bd803ba@news.povray.org...
> hello,
>
> i'm sorta uncomfortable asking this question because i figure
> it must be a faq somewhere, but i couldn't find it so here goes:
>
> i'd like to have light streaming in a window with the light rays
> visible.  how do i do that?  is that a "photon" thing?  i've got
> the wall and a desk and i'm modelling a window now, so i'll
> need the light rays here soon.
>
> my idea was to throw a light fog in the room and see if the light
> catches it, but thats just a guess.
>
> thank you, miker

Post a reply to this message