POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Lighting Server Time
5 Sep 2024 06:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Lighting (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Shalom
Subject: Lighting
Date: 12 Oct 2001 08:51:06
Message: <3bc6e73a$1@news.povray.org>
I've been using povray for some time now, but there's still one thing I can't
do properly - lighting. No matter what lighting model I use, it just doesn't
work.

The problem is that I have a very, very large room, with 5 relatively small
objects in it. I am taking a couple of pictures of each of these objects from
several angles, as well as the whole room by itself. The problem is, that even
if I provide a large ambient value, Pov-ray does not shade shadows. Therefore,
if I only have 1 or 2 lights to light up this room, 1 side of all these objects
will always be in shadow, and not much better looking than a standard scanline
renderer.

Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is an area light. However, this
doesn't work because the room is very, very large, and the objects are spread
around the room, and even an area light of 30 X 30 lights (which would take
HOURS to render) would still look like there are just 2 lights, 1 on each side,
which doesn't make very nice shadows.

I could also put small area lights on top of each object, but that would make
it look like there's a lot of light concentration in a few areas in the
pictures of the whole room.

Currently, I'm using an interesting model I invented: 2 lights on the exact
same spot, both with 50% brightness, but one of them shadowless, and one of
them not. This way, shadowed areas are darker than non-shadowed areas, but are
still shaded.

This method works quite well, but its not quite right. The best thing would be
this, but I don't think it's possible in Povray:
Area lights, I believe, only use the extra light to calculate shadows, but do
all the shading based on the main light. It would be good to have the same sort
of thing as area lights, where the shading comes from 1 single spot, but where
the shadows are calculated based on a few lights just above each object. This
way, each object would have smooth shading, but one wouldn't need 100X100
lights to cover a whole room, just a couple of lights for each object.

Waiting for your ideas,
Shalom

Post a reply to this message

"Shalom" <sha### [at] homecom> wrote in message
> I've been using povray for some time now, but there's still one thing I can't
> do properly - lighting. No matter what lighting model I use, it just doesn't
> work.
>
> The problem is that I have a very, very large room, with 5 relatively small
> objects in it. I am taking a couple of pictures of each of these objects from
> several angles, as well as the whole room by itself. The problem is, that even
> if I provide a large ambient value, Pov-ray does not shade shadows. Therefore,
> if I only have 1 or 2 lights to light up this room, 1 side of all these
objects
> will always be in shadow, and not much better looking than a standard scanline
> renderer.
>
> Of course, the first thing that comes to mind is an area light. However, this
> doesn't work because the room is very, very large, and the objects are spread
> around the room, and even an area light of 30 X 30 lights (which would take
> HOURS to render) would still look like there are just 2 lights, 1 on each
side,
> which doesn't make very nice shadows.
>
> I could also put small area lights on top of each object, but that would make
> it look like there's a lot of light concentration in a few areas in the
> pictures of the whole room.
>
> Currently, I'm using an interesting model I invented: 2 lights on the exact
> same spot, both with 50% brightness, but one of them shadowless, and one of
> them not. This way, shadowed areas are darker than non-shadowed areas, but are
> still shaded.
>
> This method works quite well, but its not quite right. The best thing would be
> this, but I don't think it's possible in Povray:
> Area lights, I believe, only use the extra light to calculate shadows, but do
> all the shading based on the main light. It would be good to have the same
sort
> of thing as area lights, where the shading comes from 1 single spot, but where
> the shadows are calculated based on a few lights just above each object. This
> way, each object would have smooth shading, but one wouldn't need 100X100
> lights to cover a whole room, just a couple of lights for each object.

Have you tried radiosity?

- Nekar

---

You should try radiosity, together with a *properly shaped* area light if
you want.

--
Jonathan.

Post a reply to this message