POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Aligning text along a circle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:26:28 EDT (-0400)
  Aligning text along a circle (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Zero
Subject: Aligning text along a circle
Date: 4 Jul 2001 10:32:04
Message: <3b4328e4$1@news.povray.org>
I see I forgot to add a subject line in my post, sorry about that.  Here it
is again:

I'm not really a new user, but this question is so basic (and I'm such an
amateur) that this seemed like the right group to ask.  Ok, here's the deal:
I'm trying to align text around a circle.  I have been trying by making the
individual letters, then translating them down, and subsequently rotating
them into place.  However this gives 2 problems: 1. the origin is in the
lower left of each letter, so after rotating they still don't align nicely
and instead slope to the right a bit, and 2. since I don't know the width of
each character I can't space them correctly.
Now I know in the Win32 GUI there is a function which tells you the width of
a character, but I'm guessing this isn't implemented in povray.  So my
question is: is there any way to calculate the width of each character?  Or,
alternatively, does anyone know how to reach the same effect in a different
way (perhaps with a macro)?

TIA,
  Zero

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not really a new user, but this question is so basic (and I'm such an
> amateur) that this seemed like the right group to ask.  Ok, here's the deal:
> I'm trying to align text around a circle.  I have been trying by making the
> individual letters, then translating them down, and subsequently rotating
> them into place.  However this gives 2 problems: 1. the origin is in the
> lower left of each letter, so after rotating they still don't align nicely
> and instead slope to the right a bit, and 2. since I don't know the width of
> each character I can't space them correctly.
> Now I know in the Win32 GUI there is a function which tells you the width of
> a character, but I'm guessing this isn't implemented in povray.  So my
> question is: is there any way to calculate the width of each character?  Or,
> alternatively, does anyone know how to reach the same effect in a different
> way (perhaps with a macro)?

Although I'm quite new to povray myself, I have an idea what you could do.
Try getting megapov, it supports centering of text, and thus would solve your
problem.

Elias Pschernig

Post a reply to this message