POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Panoramic rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:30:21 EDT (-0400)
  Panoramic rendering (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Jason Jong
Subject: Panoramic rendering
Date: 2 Jun 2001 16:19:44
Message: <3b194a60@news.povray.org>
Is there any way I can render a 360 degree hemispherical view in POV-Ray? I
want to map a POV sky onto a sky dome in 3D Studio Max.

Jason

Post a reply to this message

From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Re: Panoramic rendering
Date: 2 Jun 2001 17:06:43
Message: <3b195563@news.povray.org>
"Jason Jong" <nos### [at] redshiftcom> wrote:

> Is there any way I can render a 360 degree hemispherical view in POV-Ray?
> I want to map a POV sky onto a sky dome in 3D Studio Max.

You have two options, as far as I can see.

1) Use the "fisheye" camera with a 360 degree angle; this will give you a
circular image that can't be mapped to a sphere as-is with the standard
spherical projection (which is what I assume Max also uses). Rather, you
first have to convert it from polar coordinates to rectangular coordinates.
I know Photoshop has a filter to do this, not sure about other image
manipulation programs.

2) Get MegaPOV (http://nathan.kopp.com/) and use its spherical camera
projection (the MegaPOV manual documents its parameters). This will give you
a rectangular image that is directly mappable to a sphere with standard
spherical mapping.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee
Home page http://www.hot.ee/margusrt

Post a reply to this message

From: Jason Jong
Date: 8 Jun 2001 16:44:21
Message: <3b213925$1@news.povray.org>
How do I change the render ratio to 2:1?

"Margus Ramst" <mar### [at] peakeduee> wrote in message
> 2) Get MegaPOV (http://nathan.kopp.com/) and use its spherical camera
> projection (the MegaPOV manual documents its parameters). This will give
you
> a rectangular image that is directly mappable to a sphere with standard
> spherical mapping.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob H
Date: 8 Jun 2001 17:24:34
Message: <3b214292@news.povray.org>
I'll answer.  It's just the output resolution coupled with camera right/up,
so:

+w200 +h100  in the command line, or Width=200 Height=100 in the INI file,
for example.  Then:

camera {
 location Wherever
  right x up y/2 // 1:0.5 = 2:1
 look_at Somewhere
}

Bob H.

From: Jason Jong
Date: 23 Jun 2001 18:47:38
Message: <3b351c8a@news.povray.org>
Hmm...

Are MegaPOV and its spherical camera compatible with Jaime Vives Piqueres'
stacked clouds macro? It give me an error when I try to render.

Normal POV works fine, except I have to use the fisheye camera. The problem
with that is it doesn't give me a complete hemisphere. The edge of the
circle cuts off before it gets to the horizon.

Jason

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob H
Date: 24 Jun 2001 12:59:24
Message: <3b361c6c@news.povray.org>
Could you please post what the error says is wrong?

From: Jason Jong
Date: 25 Jun 2001 23:28:57
Message: <3b380179@news.povray.org>
Here's the error message (the scene renders fine in plain POV):

*******

#macro clouds(dc, lc, h, cl, np, pd, ptr, pturb, pocta, plamb, pomeg, td, s
<----ERROR

C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows v3.1\INCLUDE\i_stsky.inc:32: error:
identifier or expression. expected but s found instead.

Returned from renderer (non-zero return value)

*******

From: Bob H
Date: 26 Jun 2001 00:53:59
Message: <3b381567$1@news.povray.org>
's' is reserved in MegaPOV.  Try changing that to S instead, and the small
letter 'r' is too so watch out with that one as well.  The trouble is that
color-coded syntax in the CodeMax editor doesn't show those as being
anything, but try and type a t, u, or v and you'll see that those are just
like x,y,z.
Asking at povray.unofficial.patches newsgroup might be the better place to
ask about MegaPOV since people gravitate to there when it concerns that
"custom" version.

From: Jason Jong
Date: 26 Jun 2001 02:13:14
Message: <3b3827fa@news.povray.org>
> 's' is reserved in MegaPOV.  Try changing that to S instead

Hey, it works now! Thank you very much.

Jason

Post a reply to this message

From: Jason Jong
Date: 29 Jun 2001 21:16:18
Message: <3b3d2862@news.povray.org>
With a spherical camera, the image comes out as a box with rounded corners,
not a perfect circle. The corners get distorted when I map the image onto a
sky dome in Max. Is there any way to fix this?

Jason