POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: converting an old Halo Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: converting an old Halo (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: converting an old Halo
Date: 10 Mar 2001 00:21:22
Message: <3aa9b9d2@news.povray.org>
The group povray.programming is for discussing the source code of
POV-Ray, not the scene description language.  Follow-ups to
povray.newusers please.

     Thorsten

In article <3aa9b3cc@news.povray.org> , "John M. Dlugosz"
<joh### [at] dlugoszcom> wrote:

> Could someone with immediate knowledge of this feature help me out and tell
> me the equivilent statement in the current POV version?
>
> See http://www.dlugosz.com/Artwork/POV/lamp1.JPG for the picture: this is
> your basic glowing effect.
>
> TIA,
> --John
>
> light_source {
>     <0,0,0>
>     color White
>     looks_like {
>         sphere { 0, 1
>             pigment { color rgbt <1, 1, 1, 1> }
>             halo {
>                 emitting
>                 spherical_mapping
>                 linear
>                 color_map {
>                     [ 0.0 color rgbt <1, 1, 0, .999999> ]
>                     [ 0.5 color rgbt <1, 1, 0, 0.5> ]
>                     [ 0.8 color rgbt <1, 1, 1, 0> ]
>                     [ 1.0 color rgbt <1, 1, 1, 0> ]
>                     }
>                 samples 10
>                 }
>             hollow
>             scale <3,1.5,1.5>
>             } //end sphere
>         } // end looks_like
>     translate y*9.7
>     }

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

From: Bob H
Date: 10 Mar 2001 01:18:53
Message: <3aa9c74d@news.povray.org>
> In article <3aa9b3cc@news.povray.org> , "John M. Dlugosz"
> <joh### [at] dlugoszcom> wrote:
>
> > Could someone with immediate knowledge of this feature help me out and
tell
> > me the equivilent statement in the current POV version?
> >
> > See http://www.dlugosz.com/Artwork/POV/lamp1.JPG for the picture: this
is
> > your basic glowing effect.
> >
> > light_source {
> >     <0,0,0>
> >     color White
> >     looks_like {
> >         sphere { 0, 1
> >             pigment { color rgbt <1, 1, 1, 1> }
> >             halo {
> >                 emitting
> >                 spherical_mapping
> >                 linear
> >                 color_map {
> >                     [ 0.0 color rgbt <1, 1, 0, .999999> ]
> >                     [ 0.5 color rgbt <1, 1, 0, 0.5> ]
> >                     [ 0.8 color rgbt <1, 1, 1, 0> ]
> >                     [ 1.0 color rgbt <1, 1, 1, 0> ]
> >                     }
> >                 samples 10
> >                 }
> >             hollow
> >             scale <3,1.5,1.5>
> >             } //end sphere
> >         } // end looks_like
> >     translate y*9.7
> >     }

This might be about right:

#declare D=.75;

sphere {0,1
        pigment {rgbt 1}
interior {
    media {
        intervals 6
        samples 30,30 // method 2 // use less intervals and samples in
MegaPOV
        emission <1,1,0>
            density {
                spherical
        density_map {
            [0 rgb<1,1,0>*0*D]
            [.5 rgb<1,1,0>*.5*D]
            [.8 rgb<1,1,1>*D]
            [1 rgb<1,1,1>*D]
        } }
} }
  scale <3,1.5,1.5>
 hollow
}

MegaPOV allows for much faster renders with method 2 used in the media
statement while also keeping it smoother with less samples (and intervals).
However unequal min and max samples is usually grainy.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message