POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : error: Mesh normal index out of range Server Time
5 Sep 2024 12:19:00 EDT (-0400)
  error: Mesh normal index out of range (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: October
Subject: error: Mesh normal index out of range
Date: 13 Feb 2001 15:04:49
Message: <3a899361@news.povray.org>
Hey all,

I'm working on a tutorial that covers the relatively easy methods to go from
an organic type of patched model in Hamapatch to final rendering using
uvmapping in Megapov (0.7).  Part of the conversion uses the excellent
OBJuvPOV utility which produces a sample .pov image and an .inc that
includes all the model and uv data.  In general the steps are as follows:
Hamapatch model --->model.obj --->UVMapper to creat uv map; resave as
model.obj ---> OBJuvPOV to convert to model.pov and model.inc for use in
MegaPov 0.7

I have gotten OBJuvPOV to convert many very sophisticated models with
success and a few of my own models created with the techniques mentioned
above.  Sometimes the models I have made will not render and I almost
*always* get an error similar to this one:

normal_indices{
1040,
<107,108,0>, <----ERROR

frogtest2.inc:2081: error: Mesh normal index out of range.

Returned from renderer (non-zero return value)

The model renders well as .obj or .hmp and I can find no obvious flaw in
it's surfaces.  I am aware that the problem may lay with any of several
steps (using different conversion utilities).  Can anyone tell me what can
cause this error?  What should I look for to prevent this sort of thing
happening in future renders?

Thanks in advance,

Post a reply to this message