POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : tori Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  tori (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: David Fontaine
Subject: Re: tori
Date: 23 Jan 2001 21:41:49
Message: <3A6E40F2.6210E621@faricy.net>
"Mark M. Wilson" wrote:

> The problem seems to come when I try and union or merge the two partial arcs
> so that they form the characteristically Gothic ogival arch.  When I made
> the actual archway, intersecting two inverse cylinders (or subtracting two
> intersected cylinders from a 'box' ) was no problem.
> I just can't get the tori to behave the same, because there is open space in
> the middle.

You mean the tori are cut by a radius so that the angle of the cut on one torus
doesn't meet up with the other torus?

I'd position the torii and then cut them then, the cutting is as simple as a
plane on the yz axis (or yx or whatever) halfway between the two.

> The problem seems to come when I try and union or merge the two
> partial arcs so that they form the characteristically Gothic ogival
> arch.

Maybe this is what you want instead of arc segments:
intersection {
    union {
        intersection {
            torus {1, 0.25 rotate x*90 translate -x*0.25}
            plane {-x, 0}
        }
        intersection {
            torus {1, 0.25 rotate x*90 translate x*0.25}
            plane {x, 0}
        }
    }
    plane {-y, 0}