POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Internal Function Details? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:11:35 EDT (-0400)
  Internal Function Details? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: D Matthews
Subject: Internal Function Details?
Date: 22 Oct 2002 18:27:53
Message: <3db5d0e9@news.povray.org>
OK, I think I've searched all the easily available help files, and I can't
find the answer to this one.  Is there some place where the actual formulas
for the internal functions are available (without trying to puzzle out the
source code)?

Something like:
f_sphere = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - P0^2, but for all, or at least many, of the
other functions.

I teach math, and when a student or colleague asks me:
"What is that?"  it seems a bit inadequate to answer as they do in POVRay
Help:

"f_spikes(x,y,z, P0, P1, P2, P3, P4)

P0 : Spikiness. Set this to very low values to increase the spikes. Set it
to 1 and you get a sphere
P1 : Hollowness. Increasing this causes the sides to bend in more
P2 : Size. Increasing this increases the size of the object
P3 : Roundness. This parameter has a subtle effect on the roundness of the
spikes
P4 : Fatness. Increasing this makes the spikes fatter "

This is of great practical help, but not very mathematically informative.

Post a reply to this message