POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : t_glass1 is dark Server Time
5 Sep 2024 04:20:22 EDT (-0400)
  t_glass1 is dark (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: MR
Subject: t_glass1 is dark
Date: 20 Dec 2001 11:28:08
Message: <3c221198@news.povray.org>
hello,

i'm still working on my scene with the light streaming in
thru a window and i finally put some T_GLASS1 glass
in it and its really dark.  it goes from looking like noon
time outside to almost dark.

ok, i haven't dug into the actual code for the texture, but
being a newbie i'm likely to not perceive the problem
even when i do.

why would i be getting such a dark color out of something
thats commented as "simple clear glass"?

thank you, miker

Post a reply to this message

> i'm still working on my scene with the light streaming in
> thru a window and i finally put some T_GLASS1 glass
> in it and its really dark.  it goes from looking like noon
> time outside to almost dark.
>
> ok, i haven't dug into the actual code for the texture, but
> being a newbie i'm likely to not perceive the problem
> even when i do.
>
> why would i be getting such a dark color out of something
> thats commented as "simple clear glass"?
>
> thank you, miker

t_glass1 has a filter value of .7, if your glass is fairly thick then you
should expect objects seen through it to be considerably darker.  Try
thinner glass or a different texture (I always prefer to make my own when I
can).

-tgq

Post a reply to this message

> i'm still working on my scene with the light streaming in
> thru a window and i finally put some T_GLASS1 glass
> in it and its really dark.  it goes from looking like noon
> time outside to almost dark.

'T_Glass2' should give completely clear glass, if you use Povray 3.5 try
the new glass finishes in 'glass.inc', they should lead to more realistic
results.  Don't forget to use an interior with 'ior 1.5' or similar.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

 "Trevor Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> t_glass1 has a filter value of .7, if your glass is fairly thick then you
> should expect objects seen through it to be considerably darker.  Try
> thinner glass or a different texture (I always prefer to make my own when I
> can).

The filter value is a surface attribute...the thickness of the glass
won't matter. The thickness would only matter if you are using
fade_distance or media.