POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Using rand(); clear howto! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:28:51 EDT (-0400)
  Using rand(); clear howto! (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Simon Lemieux
Subject: Using rand(); clear howto!
Date: 10 May 2001 22:33:15
Message: <3AFB17FE.C5519168@yahoo.com>
I'm currently trying to use rand to determine random location of objects in my
scene.  I would like rand to give the exact same result every time it runs.

I've been programming with povray for about more than a year now and I've made
some very nice stuff, whenever I needed random calculation or heavy math
algorythms, I would move to C++ and build a program that would output a
file.pov...

I don't want to do that anymore, I would like to use pov and pov only, I believe
there is a very common way to get a good random!

Here is an example of code that should normally give a cloud of dots, brighter
if there is more objects with antialiasing:

#declare n = 100 *2;
#declare i = 0;
#declare b = 3;
#while (i<n)

sphere { <rand(seed(i)), rand(seed(i+1)), 0>, 0.01 pigment { color rgb 1 }
finish { ambient 1 } translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0> scale 2}

#declare i = i+2;
#end

But this code give two Very well aligned lines (made of dots...), what is the
problem?

Thanks,
  Simon

--
+--------------------------------+---------------------------+
| Simon Lemieux                  | http://666Mhz.myip.org/   |

Post a reply to this message

Simon Lemieux <lem### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> I'm currently trying to use rand to determine random location of
> objects in my scene.  I would like rand to give the exact same
> result every time it runs.

It will do this on its own, you have to go through special effort to
get it to work differently.

> Here is an example of code that should normally give a cloud of
> dots, brighter if there is more objects with antialiasing:

> #declare n = 100 *2;
> #declare i = 0;
> #declare b = 3;
> #while (i<n)

> sphere { <rand(seed(i)), rand(seed(i+1)), 0>, 0.01 pigment { color rgb 1 }
> finish { ambient 1 } translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0> scale 2}

> #declare i = i+2;
> #end

> But this code give two Very well aligned lines (made of dots...),
> what is the problem?

You are not only seeding the random number generator within the loop,
you are seeding it *for every call*. You need to create one stream and
use it.
(And some general advice, always use at least one capital letter in
variable names, to avoid possible conflict with future features...and
indent!)

#declare N = 100*2;
#declare I = 0;
#declare S = seed(54321);
#while (I<N)
    sphere { <rand(S), rand(S), 0>, 0.01
        pigment { color rgb 1 }
        finish { ambient 1 }
        translate <-0.5, -0.5, 0>
        scale 2
    }
    #declare I = I+2;
#end

And of course, this will only make random spheres in a plane, for a 3D
cloud you need to add a third rand(S) to the sphere location vector.

--
Christopher James Huff - chr### [at] maccom
Home Page: http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/

Post a reply to this message

> You are not only seeding the random number generator within the loop,
> you are seeding it *for every call*. You need to create one stream and
> use it.

Hmmm, I see I got confused by the documentation that used different seed
streams...  This is very simple and I got it now!

> (And some general advice, always use at least one capital letter in
> variable names, to avoid possible conflict with future features...and
> indent!)

Good advice, I might not use it though, I'm used to 'i' and 'n' that way,
although I like nSegments, nPolygons, mVertex, etc...
As for indentation... that was just a sketch... ;)

Thanks a lot Chris!
	Simon

--