POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Inexplicable shadow? Also, normal superimposition... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:21:47 EDT (-0400)
From: Xplo Eristotle
Subject: Inexplicable shadow? Also, normal superimposition...
Date: 9 Nov 1999 19:46:06

	.5,1,5
	<4,8>,<-4,8>,<-4,-8>,<4,-8><4,8>
	rotate <180,0,0>
	translate <0,1,0>
	scale <1,32,1>
	translate <0,-11.5,5>
	pigment { color rgb <.5,.5,.5> }
	}

...is supposed to produce a tall, narrow, medium-gray truncated
pyramidal shape. It does in fact do this, but what has me confused is
the narrow dark band that appears on the left side of the front face. It
looks like a shadow, but there's nothing to cast one.

Any ideas?

Also (and I almost hate to ask because it's probably in the dox), is it
possible to superimpose a bump_map on top of an "ordinary" normal, or
vice-versa? I wanted to create a "rough stone with some carvings" look
and this was the only way I could think of to do it without making
comprehensively large bump_maps...

--
Xplo Eristotle
http://start.at/xplosion/

Post a reply to this message

I see no problem here using version 3.1g for Windows.

For the normal you might be able to use:

#declare Bump=normal {bump_map {gif "bumpy.gif" scale 3}}
#declare Regular=normal {bumps 2}

 normal {average normal_map {
  [1 Bump]
  [1 Regular]