POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : how to model a ribbon Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  how to model a ribbon (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Matthias Rarey
Subject: how to model a ribbon
Date: 4 Nov 1999 05:19:16
Message: <38215D5C.3F5F45AF@gmd.de>
Hi,

I started interfacing Povray to my 3D viewer and I really

enjoy it! Most objects are quite easy to build with CSG

except one: a ribbon in 3D space.

What I would like to do is using a prism but instead of

giving two heights, I would like to use 3D spline to sweep

the shape along a defined curve.

Is there an easy way to model such an object in Povray?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matthias

Post a reply to this message

> I started interfacing Povray to my 3D viewer and I really
>
> enjoy it! Most objects are quite easy to build with CSG
>
> except one: a ribbon in 3D space.
>
> What I would like to do is using a prism but instead of
>
> giving two heights, I would like to use 3D spline to sweep
>
> the shape along a defined curve.
>
> Is there an easy way to model such an object in Povray?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Matthias

Check this out: http://members.xoom.com/dvarrazzo/epov.htm

  If you don't know how to make them by hand, use a modeller like spatch.

See also: http://povobjects.virtualave.net/cgi-bin/objlist.cgi?/others/

> I started interfacing Povray to my 3D viewer and I really
>
> enjoy it! Most objects are quite easy to build with CSG
>
> except one: a ribbon in 3D space.
>
> What I would like to do is using a prism but instead of
>
> giving two heights, I would like to use 3D spline to sweep
>
> the shape along a defined curve.
>
> Is there an easy way to model such an object in Povray?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Matthias

Chris Colefax's Spline macro would do this quite nicely.

Steve