POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Image map on a sphere Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:17:22 EDT (-0400)
  Image map on a sphere (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Duke Nukem
Subject: Image map on a sphere
Date: 19 Sep 1999 23:34:23
Message: <37e5a955.27331941@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to render a picture of the earth. But, the image I'm using
for the map only covers half of the sphere. So, there are 2 copies of
the image, one on each half of the sphere. I want to wrap the whole
image around the entire sphere just once.

The help file doesn't help me on this one. Any assistance is
appreciated. Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to render a picture of the earth. But, the image I'm using
> for the map only covers half of the sphere. So, there are 2 copies of
> the image, one on each half of the sphere. I want to wrap the whole
> image around the entire sphere just once.
>
> The help file doesn't help me on this one. Any assistance is
> appreciated. Thanks.

sphere { <0,0,0>, 0.5
 pigment {
  image_map {gif "earth.gif" map_type 1 interpolate 2 }
   translate -0.5
 }
 scale < your scale >
}

map_type 1 gives spherical image mapping. The default is type 0 which is planer.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 1000+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

> I'm trying to render a picture of the earth. But, the image I'm using
> for the map only covers half of the sphere. So, there are 2 copies of
> the image, one on each half of the sphere. I want to wrap the whole
> image around the entire sphere just once.
>
> The help file doesn't help me on this one. Any assistance is
> appreciated. Thanks.

I was just notified of a tutorial on this subject and it is excellent.
Check it out at: http://members.xoom.com/yang4yang/pov/imap1.html