POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Looking for Linux POV-Ray tools (modelers and whatnot) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:18:47 EDT (-0400)
  Looking for Linux POV-Ray tools (modelers and whatnot) (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: J  J  Ramsey
Subject: Looking for Linux POV-Ray tools (modelers and whatnot)
Date: 11 Sep 1999 03:00:59
Message: <37D9F128.87E1952B@yahoo.com>
I want to find some suitable tools for starting out in 3D. Here's what
I'm looking for:

1) I want to create character models that I can more or less pose as
puppets in some fashion within a given scene. (The kinds of characters I
have in mind are *not* realistic, but fairly cartoonish. Unfortunately,
the characters that float around in my head tend not to be composed of
nice, neat spheres, cylinders, etc.)

2) Reasonably straightforward. Good documentation is a must. If I can
read a manual and understand the features of the software I'm using, I
can probably figure out how to do what I want to do. I've played around
with the Blender, and while I respect its capabilities, I find that the
interface makes me gunshy of it, even after reading the Blender manual
(which unfortunately doesn't seem to explain Blender all that well).

3) I have no problem with creating or editing text files *IF* that is
more straightforward than a graphical approach. I highly emphasize the
'IF', though.

-- I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool. --

Post a reply to this message

I don't know if it must be Linux. There is the nice tool sPatch for Windows.
You can use it to create any form you want (e.g. odd comic figures). Posing
is a bit difficult with it but possible. It doesn't support inverse
kinematics but you can change groups of surfaces while smooth transitions
between them are preserved.
I don't know of anything like this for Linux, sorry.

Roy

Post a reply to this message

> I want to find some suitable tools for starting out in 3D. Here's what
> I'm looking for:
>
> 1) I want to create character models that I can more or less pose as
> puppets in some fashion within a given scene. (The kinds of characters I
> have in mind are *not* realistic, but fairly cartoonish. Unfortunately,
> the characters that float around in my head tend not to be composed of
> nice, neat spheres, cylinders, etc.)
>
> 2) Reasonably straightforward. Good documentation is a must. If I can
> read a manual and understand the features of the software I'm using, I
> can probably figure out how to do what I want to do. I've played around
> with the Blender, and while I respect its capabilities, I find that the
> interface makes me gunshy of it, even after reading the Blender manual
> (which unfortunately doesn't seem to explain Blender all that well).
>
> 3) I have no problem with creating or editing text files *IF* that is
> more straightforward than a graphical approach. I highly emphasize the
> 'IF', though.
>
> -- I am a fool for Christ. Mostly I am a fool. --

Well, you might want to check out GIRAM. It's open source, and under early
development, so if it can't do what you want, you have a good chance of
getting it changed to your needs (even better if you do some of the
programming yourself ;-)

http://www.minet.net/~steeve/giram/

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.

Post a reply to this message