POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: Who has the copyright? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 22:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who has the copyright? (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: Who has the copyright?
Date: 11 May 1999 19:40:20
Message: <3738B1A2.20BEC731@aol.com>
I believe the idea has always been to protect the contributors from
exploitation. If you were to use a ready made scene and simply add a few
things to it, as you seem to be saying, I would expect that image to be
owned in part by the original author(s); not owned by the POV-Team per se,
since most, if not all, scene and include files are acquired with the
permission of said author(s) for use as examples.
Changing every aspect of the original pov scene file, ie. textures,
transformations and objects used of course is probably not what they had
in mind when saying "derivitive". But a scene containing the same content
and then used as a wrapper on a box of goods (software, hardware, or any
other commercial product) is definately going to be a sort of copyright
infringement I would think.
I'm sure what counts most is that if someone thought enough to put their
name into a scene file they intend to hear about any such uses. Making a
picture and putting it on a personal web page is not my idea of
"exploiting", however to hear a POV-Team members ideas on this might be a
good thing. I'm sure much of the legal statements of the POV-Ray
Document/License Agreement are not always understandable by all.
Presumably most because of the "free" nature of this program and all that
goes with it.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe