POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Some newbie questions Server Time
6 Sep 2024 06:24:24 EDT (-0400)
  Some newbie questions (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Technetium
Subject: Some newbie questions
Date: 23 Feb 1999 19:59:15
Message: <36D3506A.B6E841C0@geocities.com>
I'm totally new to this. All I've done so far, successfully, is make the
yellow ball in the help tutorial. After that, it requires that I use
Moray, which gives me a lot of problems.

I'll ask that question first. I'm trying to do the bezier patch section
of the help-file tutorial (the one that comes with Povray). Eventually,
I get to a part where I have to scale the four inner points of the patch
so that they shrink to an approximate point. However, when I attempt to
scale that, the points fly out of sight. Apparently, moving the mouse
the minimal amount makes the whole thing jump. I couldn't repair it
either, as trying to move it back caused to to zip right past that point
and now I had it distorted to the other extreme.

I've read that it is possible to produce high quality images without
using an external modeller. if so, how do I accomplish that? I can't
seem to figure out how to do much other than generate basic spheres and
cubes (as explained in the help-file tutorial). What I'd really like is
a tutorial that explains everything. What other tutorials are there for
the Windows version (I specify this because I attempted to use a dos
tutorial once, and it told me to click on things in particular places,
only those things weren't there in the Windows version).

--
-Technetium
(aka Justin Smith)

Post a reply to this message

> I'm totally new to this. All I've done so far, successfully, is make the
> yellow ball in the help tutorial. After that, it requires that I use
> Moray, which gives me a lot of problems.
>
> I'll ask that question first. I'm trying to do the bezier patch section
> of the help-file tutorial (the one that comes with Povray). Eventually,
> I get to a part where I have to scale the four inner points of the patch
> so that they shrink to an approximate point. However, when I attempt to
> scale that, the points fly out of sight. Apparently, moving the mouse
> the minimal amount makes the whole thing jump. I couldn't repair it
> either, as trying to move it back caused to to zip right past that point
> and now I had it distorted to the other extreme.
>
> I've read that it is possible to produce high quality images without
> using an external modeller. if so, how do I accomplish that? I can't
> seem to figure out how to do much other than generate basic spheres and
> cubes (as explained in the help-file tutorial). What I'd really like is
> a tutorial that explains everything. What other tutorials are there for
> the Windows version (I specify this because I attempted to use a dos
> tutorial once, and it told me to click on things in particular places,
> only those things weren't there in the Windows version).
>
> --
> -Technetium
> (aka Justin Smith)

For a general purpose list of tutorials for using Pov see my Tutorial FAQ
in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions here on this server. For
tutorials directly related to using Moray I have no links for that but
you could see if there are some at the Moray home page. Also directions
on using features in Moray can be discussed in the moray.win group on
this server. These people are using it on a regular basis and the author
of the program answers questions in that group regularly.

Moray home page:
http://www.stmuc.com/moray/

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

If you are havving trouble with Moray scaling things too much, try clicking
further from the origin when you start the drag. This is difficult to
explain but you should find that the further away from the origin you
start, the slower it scales. Persist, I find the Moray spline editor quite
useful but it takes a while to learn.

Good Luck
Gordon
<gbe### [at] birdcameroncomau>

Technetium <t74### [at] geocitiescom> wrote in article
<36D3506A.B6E841C0@geocities.com>...

> I'm totally new to this. All I've done so far, successfully, is make the
> yellow ball in the help tutorial. After that, it requires that I use
> Moray, which gives me a lot of problems.
>
> I'll ask that question first. I'm trying to do the bezier patch section
> of the help-file tutorial (the one that comes with Povray). Eventually,
> I get to a part where I have to scale the four inner points of the patch
> so that they shrink to an approximate point. However, when I attempt to
> scale that, the points fly out of sight. Apparently, moving the mouse
> the minimal amount makes the whole thing jump. I couldn't repair it
> either, as trying to move it back caused to to zip right past that point
> and now I had it distorted to the other extreme.
>
> I've read that it is possible to produce high quality images without
> using an external modeller. if so, how do I accomplish that? I can't
> seem to figure out how to do much other than generate basic spheres and
> cubes (as explained in the help-file tutorial). What I'd really like is
> a tutorial that explains everything. What other tutorials are there for
> the Windows version (I specify this because I attempted to use a dos
> tutorial once, and it told me to click on things in particular places,
> only those things weren't there in the Windows version).
>
> --
> -Technetium
> (aka Justin Smith)

Post a reply to this message

> scale that, the points fly out of sight. Apparently, moving the mouse
> the minimal amount makes the whole thing jump. I couldn't repair it
> either, as trying to move it back caused to to zip right past that point
> and now I had it distorted to the other extreme.

	I don't know from Moray so I should not waste the disk space but
from my Photoshop experience, a $100 dollar rat is about the
minimum quality to use. Also look in the docs for a something
like ctrl arrow for one pixel movements.

> I've read that it is possible to produce high quality images without
> using an external modeller. if so, how do I accomplish that? I can't
> seem to figure out how to do much other than generate basic spheres and
> cubes (as explained in the help-file tutorial). What I'd really like is
> a tutorial that explains everything. What other tutorials are there for
> the Windows version (I specify this because I attempted to use a dos
> tutorial once, and it told me to click on things in particular places,
> only those things weren't there in the Windows version).

	If your machine is fast enough rather than trying to follow
someone else's idea of how to do things, use the included scenes.
And then just modify them and see what happens. Even the basic
scene with the sphere, change its size, location, make two of
them, change pigments, background, everything. Once you get a
feel for what happens then go to the help index and look up what
you are doing.

	Go to the website in my sig. The first image there was created
six days after I started using the above trial and error method.

Post a reply to this message