POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : I need a bath! (rendered, of course) Server Time
6 Sep 2024 06:22:26 EDT (-0400)
  I need a bath! (rendered, of course) (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Anthony Bateman
Subject: I need a bath! (rendered, of course)
Date: 8 Feb 1999 14:13:27
Message: <36bf3757.0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I have been asked to render a scene containing a bath. I would like to model
it with a white porcelain inner, and something else outside. I have tried
this using triangle meshes and have run into problems.

I created a basic shape using sPatch, and saved the result as a RAW ASCII
format. I then imported this into Moray 3.1 using the 3D Win utility. This
worked fine, and I gave it a marble texture.

To create the inner of the bath, I copied the original shape, scaled it
equally by 0.99 so that it fit inside the outer shape, and gave it a
porcelain texture. I then rendered it in POVRAY.

Now the fun starts. I can see the inside through the outside! I thought that
this may be something to do with numerical precision and the proximity of
the meshes next to each other, so as a test I scaled the inner mesh to 0.5
and rendered again, so that there is a clear separation between the meshes.
Surprise: I can still see the inner mesh through the walls of the outer
mesh.

Both of the textures were non-transparent, so does anybody have an idea why
this is happening, and what I can do to get around this problem? Is there a
better way achieve my desired result?

Regards,

Anthony Bateman.

Post a reply to this message

> Both of the textures were non-transparent, so does anybody have an idea why
> this is happening, and what I can do to get around this problem? Is there a
> better way achieve my desired result?
>
> Regards,
>
> Anthony Bateman.

I believe this is a bug in the program related to patch objects
and is due to fixed soon.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net