POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Odd result here Server Time
6 Sep 2024 06:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Odd result here (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Matt Giuer
Subject: Odd result here
Date: 9 Feb 1999 00:43:28
Message: <36BFF597.C2175362@ij.net>
New user, yes but ... here I am imitating nature and I do a
pearl, which is 20 concentric spheres and nine different colors
on a table turns out just fine with the defaults. Rather nice if
I say so myself. Each sphere is both reflective and transparent.
(Note 20 here, plus a two layered reflective/transparent table
also.)

	So I go to test the ADC function and set max_trace_level to 200,
cut it down to one pearl, put the rendering area to just the
pearl and the reflection. 40 hours later this Pentium Pro 333
machine has just gotten passed the half way point and I lose
interest but it does look better. I was warned.

	So here is the problem. I out of my first serious scene which
was just two nested glass boxes with a modestly complex purely
reflective object inside and I set the MTR to 200 and it crashes
almost as soon as it gets into the box reflections. OK so I set
it at 20 and it crashes again a little further into the
reflective/transparent boxes but not much further. (Note two
surfaces here plus the reflective object.)

	It does fully render at 7.

	Now I was warned about a stack overflow possibility. But I have
a huge numbeer more in the one that did not crash than in the one
that does crash?

	OK, what is going on here? Can anyone interperate the error
message?