POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: Cannot Compile Server Time
6 Sep 2024 06:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cannot Compile (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Scott David Daniels
Subject: Re: Cannot Compile
Date: 5 Feb 1999 14:04:43
Message: <36BB3E94.A4E44D8F@Acm.Org>
Well, as I remember my ASCII, that would be a lot more correct with
0d, 0a (not d0, a0).

Tristan Wibberley wrote:

> A dos return is two characters, d0 followed by a0, often (to reduce
> bandwidth), you only download the a0 (unix style). Paste the code into
> wordpad, press Ctrl-A, Ctrl-X, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-S... Choose a folder and
> filename... and Voila!
>
> --
> Tristan Wibberley
>
> (Remove the '.NO_LUNCHEON_MEAT' from my
> email address to reply.)
>
> Chris <chr### [at] wizardteksupportnetau> wrote in article
> <34a79a87.0@news.povray.org>...
> | Howdy...
> |
> | I have seen a couple of .pov files incorporated into some posts on the
> | newsgroups, but I cant get them to work...
> |
> | I copy them, paste them in Pov-Ray (3.02 Win 95) and get the following
> | message:
> |

> |  <----ERROR
> | p:156: error: Illegal character in input file, value is a0.
> |
> | Returned from renderer (non-zero return value)
> |

> | This seems to happen all the time.  I thought my email was adding
> something
> | silly, so I pasted into Notepad, then copied it into Pov-Ray and got the
> | same problem....
> |

> | Any ideas?
> |
> | Thanks
> | Chris
> |
> | (Remove the _no_spam to reply)

Post a reply to this message

From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 6 Feb 1999 03:36:47
Message: <36BBFFCE.C19503D7@geocities.com>
Well, just in case this still is unanswered....
Hex 0xA0 = Dec 160
That's   to you HTML-Heads out there, or 'Non-breaking space' to the rest
of us.
For the average non-programmer, it's a character that looks like a space, but
it's really not.

Off-hand, I'd wager to guess that you are using Microsoft programs to read the
newsgroups, and these are likely sneaking that in, thinking it's helping you
out. That, or the senders of those are having the problems.

Either way, the way to locate them is to use the 'Character Map' accessory to
select and copy char 160. Then paste that in your 'Find' dialog, and you can
track those down.