POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : MORAY ImageMAPS Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:13:36 EDT (-0400)
  MORAY ImageMAPS (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Chris Stallworth
Subject: MORAY ImageMAPS
Date: 19 Nov 1998 09:38:21
Message: <36542C32.39625820@tecmasters.com>
John Thile,

                In regards to your questions/problem with the placement
of image maps in MORAY (v3.0 for Windows), I have a suggestion based on
my own experiences with it.  If you are in fact using the same version,
I find that what often works is to create standard or preferably layered
textures via MORAY's texture editor.

Example: You created a spere in MORAY that you want to texture/color in
2 different hues (half blue & half red).  I accomplish this process by
creating a .gif flie in Paint Shop Pro(v5), Image is a rectangle that is
blu & red divided vertically. Back in Moray I would select the object I
want to attach my map to and go to the Texture Editor, select create
texture (lower right side of editor screen), select Standard Texture,
after selecting move over to the left side of the texture editor screen
and select your newly created texture by left clicking on it notice some
drop down menus come up select add pigment, right click on the pigment
and add image map. From here another menu should appear top center of
the texture editor screen, find and select your image via drop down
menu. Other options will be available for you to decide how you want
your image map attached to its parent object. This a brief explanation
of how to create the image, now to get to business.
    Youve created the image map and you do a test run and it's not
correctly place or sized. NO problem. Make sure in MORAY that you select
the parent object, then select modify, NOW on your toolbar select (left
click) "Scene", from the drop down bar select "Select texture". You
should now be in the edit texture mode to orient your image map in both
a spatial way and as far as manipulating the actual size of it to.
    I've used this method for the past several months that I have been
using POV-RAY with MORAY (strictly an interactive modeler, no scripting
for me), any way Ive never investigated trying  this method beyond a
textured layer having more than two textures ie, top layer = a standard
Moray texture, & bottom layer = an image map.  Best advice that I can
give is to run many tests using Moray's  preview texture option, also
read Moray's documentation, and ask other users of These fine products.
I'm sure someone is always wiling to give free advice & tips.
   Oh yeah, if your curious as to how to make part of an image be
transparent/invisible.  This begins with the .gif creation back in your
2D paint or phot manipulation program (PSPv5 or Adobe PhotoShop).  I
creat most image maps in PSP's native format and disect the many aspects
of the image into layers (less hassle for me). After the image/map is
acceptable I merge the layers, reduce to 256 colors, and set
transparency value ( note: be sure to remember the index # for the color
that is transparent).  In Moray's texture editor youll be able to enter
this index value in the "filter" and "transmit" dialog boxes to get your
transparent effect. Now it's just a mater of experimenting with the
Texture editor to get the desired afffect.