POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : 3D Rotating Earth... Server Time
3 Oct 2024 19:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  3D Rotating Earth... (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Tim Davis
Subject: 3D Rotating Earth...
Date: 16 Nov 1998 15:09:22
Message: <36508672.0@news.povray.org>
Can someone help me figure out how to make a 3D rotating earth?  The other
feature that I would like on this picture is a lightning bolt striking and
some smoke.  Any help would be great.

Tim
tim### [at] imallcom

Post a reply to this message

From: Julius Klatte
Subject: Re: 3D Rotating Earth...
Date: 18 Nov 1998 18:39:24
Message: <36535aac.0@news.povray.org>
>Can someone help me figure out how to make a 3D rotating
earth?  The other
>feature that I would like on this picture is a lightning
bolt striking and
>some smoke.  Any help would be great.

Well, the earth should be a sphere... :)
Place some nice texturemaps and bumpmaps on it (there's an
example in the docs) and you get a pretty nice planet.

Smoke can be done easily:
- if you're using POV v3.0x, take a look at the halo option.
You can generate dust with it.
- if you're using POV v3.1, take a look at the media
(interior) option. It works differently than the halo, but
the effect is the same.

lighting bolt? I suppose it can be done with some cylinders
and a high ambient value or even the looks_like option for a
lightsource. I've seen it done with fractals, but I can't
tell you how it was done.

Happy tracing

Julius

Post a reply to this message