POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Constant Blob-Size with Different Treshold? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  Constant Blob-Size with Different Treshold? (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Benjamin Keil
Subject: Constant Blob-Size with Different Treshold?
Date: 22 Jul 1998 17:33:52
Message: <35B64C61.AF70054F@indiana.edu>
Ja...  Hallo...

I'm a decently new user of POV-Ray -- which I just adore -- and I've
been working on doing the blob modeling...  The problem I have with the
blobs is that I can't figure out how to scale them in relation to the
other objects in my scenes (except by trial and error, of course).

I was hoping someone with a good knowledge of the mathematical side of
the blobs could tell me if there is some way to keep the size of the
blob object constant while changing the threshold -- that is, if I could
model the objects at about .01 threshold then there size is nearly that
of normal components, and then I could adjust the threshold higher to
smooth edges....  Or any similar tips.

One idea I had was to make three related variables:

#declare Thr = .65
#declare Size = 1 + Thr
#declare Weight = 1 + pow(Thr,2)

blob
{
	threshold Thr
	sphere { <0,0,0>,1,Weight scale Size*<1,2,1> }
}

I know that those three aren't related properly there, but it seems to
work fairly well over a range of .35 < Thr < .65

Any ideas are appreciated greatly.
--
:Benjamin Keil        : If she's a liar, I'm her lover      :