POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : Tweek Colours: for intuitive finding the right colour Server Time
17 Apr 2024 20:25:45 EDT (-0400)
  Tweek Colours: for intuitive finding the right colour (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: John Greenwood
Subject: Tweek Colours: for intuitive finding the right colour
Date: 17 Jul 2015 14:25:01
Message: <web.55a94716d8716132a7cafab50@news.povray.org>
I have spent far too much time on this! but I thought others might find it
useful.

I find getting the right colour for an object by changing RGB values is
non-intuitive and slow. There are declared colours available in various include
files but, unless the colour you want is included and you know its name, you are
back to an anonymous RGB value. To over come this I have written a macro that
allows you to name a starting colour something like what you want it and then
tweek it to make it a slightly different shade.

A fuller description can be found here:
http://www.john-greenwood.co.uk/PovRay/TweekColours/

The macro include file is:
http://www.john-greenwood.co.uk/PovRay/Scripts/Tweek_Colours.inc

and a programme for displaying an array of slightly different shades of a
starting colour:
http://www.john-greenwood.co.uk/PovRay/Scripts/Find_Tweek_Colour.pov

I think this evolutionary process could be made much more elegant if the
selecting of the best colour could be done by pointing and clicking. I guess
that a "script" of some sort would be needed which would be a trivial task for
someone who knows how. I do not have the time nor the motivation to learn how to
do it myself.

I suppose it would be an .ini file that:

1 runs the .pov programme
2 inputs the coordinates where the user clicks on the display window,
3 runs the .pov programme again passing these coordinates to it.

and repeat.

I think this would be a useful general purpose tool.

John Greenwood

Post a reply to this message