POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard Server Time
30 May 2024 12:32:08 EDT (-0400)
  Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard (Message 8 to 17 of 17)  
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: plagarri
Subject: Re: Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard
Date: 23 Nov 2007 10:25:01
Message: <web.4746f0a0c36bf0363a4eb4c60@news.povray.org>
"Renderdog" <slo### [at] hiwaaynet> wrote:
> Has anyone run POV-Ray 3.6 on a PowerPC under Leapard?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I get the following error msg when Pov-ray is starting: "The application POV-Ray
Mac 3.6 quit unexpectedly".
I use OS X 10.4.11 on a 2.16 GHz Intel core duo with 2 GB mem


Post a reply to this message

From: Drakonis
Subject: Re: Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard
Date: 29 Nov 2007 14:10:00
Message: <web.474f0d7dc36bf036f281f53a0@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> MacGuyver wrote:
> > Anyone out there trying to use Pov-Ray and Mac OS 10.5? Pov-Ray tries to open,
> > and seems to get most of the way, but then it unexpectedly quits on me. Has
> > anyone else had this problem? Better yet, has anyone found a solution?
>
> On a PowerPC or an Intel Mac?
>
>  Thorsten

I too just recently upgraded (CLEAN install) my Quicksilver dual G4 (PowerPC),
and my brand new Dual-core (Intel) Mac to Leopard (10.5, and now 10.5.1), and I
can confirm that POV-Ray 3.6.0 crashes on both hardware platforms, wit the
following stack crawl (snippet):

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000004
Crashed Thread:  0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   translate                      0xb80bc8c8 0xb8000000 + 772296
1   translate                      0xb80b6b77 0xb8000000 + 748407
2   translate                      0xb80d4530 0xb8000000 + 869680
3   translate                      0xb813c9e9 spin_lock_wrapper + 1981

Thread 1:
0   ???                            0x800bb8e6 0 + 2148251878
1   ???                            0x800c30dc 0 + 2148282588
2   translate                      0xb818b69a CallPPCFunctionAtAddressInt +
202826
3   ???                            0x800ec075 0 + 2148450421
4   ???                            0x800ebf32 0 + 2148450098

Thread 2:
0   translate                      0xb8152ad4 spin_lock_wrapper + 92328
1   translate                      0xb8167d9e CallPPCFunctionAtAddressInt +
57166
2   translate                      0xb80bd6fb 0xb8000000 + 775931
3   translate                      0xb80b6b77 0xb8000000 + 748407
4   translate                      0xb80d4530 0xb8000000 + 869680
5   translate                      0xb813d2cf spin_lock_wrapper + 4259
:::

As more and more people start using Leopard, this will become more important to
look into, for the Mac-POV-Ray users out there (including me, in the middle of
a POV-Ray animation project :-).  Yvo's MegaPOV seems to be a good alternative
for now.

ttfn,
Eduard


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard
Date: 29 Nov 2007 15:00:16
Message: <474f1a50$1@news.povray.org>
Drakonis wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>> MacGuyver wrote:
>>> Anyone out there trying to use Pov-Ray and Mac OS 10.5? Pov-Ray tries to open,
>>> and seems to get most of the way, but then it unexpectedly quits on me. Has
>>> anyone else had this problem? Better yet, has anyone found a solution?
>> On a PowerPC or an Intel Mac?
>>
>>  Thorsten
> 
> I too just recently upgraded (CLEAN install) my Quicksilver dual G4 (PowerPC),
> and my brand new Dual-core (Intel) Mac to Leopard (10.5, and now 10.5.1), and I
> can confirm that POV-Ray 3.6.0 crashes on both hardware platforms, wit the
> following stack crawl (snippet):
> 
> Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
> Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000004
> Crashed Thread:  0

Is this a PPC or x86 stack trace???

	Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Dennis Miller
Subject: Re: Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard
Date: 17 Feb 2008 21:10:07
Message: <47b8e8ff$1@news.povray.org>
I have the exact problem with 10.5.2 on a new MacPro. unexpectedly quits 
after the splash screen.
I am running MegaPov on the same machine with no problem, FYI.

Best.
D.

"MacGuyver" <nomail@nomail> wrote in message 
news:web.472aa92c4eebd24716ada8f90@news.povray.org...
> Anyone out there trying to use Pov-Ray and Mac OS 10.5? Pov-Ray tries to 
> open,
> and seems to get most of the way, but then it unexpectedly quits on me. 
> Has
> anyone else had this problem? Better yet, has anyone found a solution?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> MacGuyver
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Dennis Miller
Subject: Re: Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard
Date: 22 Feb 2008 00:09:00
Message: <47be58ec$1@news.povray.org>
Same problem on an Intel 8-core with 10.5.2.
Anyone looking into this?
best.
d

"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in message 
news:472ad15e@news.povray.org...
> MacGuyver wrote:
>> Anyone out there trying to use Pov-Ray and Mac OS 10.5? Pov-Ray tries to 
>> open,
>> and seems to get most of the way, but then it unexpectedly quits on me. 
>> Has
>> anyone else had this problem? Better yet, has anyone found a solution?
>
> On a PowerPC or an Intel Mac?
>
> Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard
Date: 22 Feb 2008 00:55:43
Message: <47be63df@news.povray.org>
Dennis Miller wrote:
> Same problem on an Intel 8-core with 10.5.2.
> Anyone looking into this?

As I said, it is Apple's problem and outside the scope of POV-Ray to fix as 
there is nothing to be fixed in POV-Ray.

	Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Dennis Miller
Subject: Re: Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard
Date: 23 Feb 2008 09:23:05
Message: <47c02c49@news.povray.org>
>it is Apple's problem...

(And you figure they are going to fix it?)
What do you think the problem is? A shame not to work under the newest OS.

Best,
D.
"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote in message 
news:47be63df@news.povray.org...
> Dennis Miller wrote:
>> Same problem on an Intel 8-core with 10.5.2.
>> Anyone looking into this?
>
> As I said, it is Apple's problem and outside the scope of POV-Ray to fix 
> as there is nothing to be fixed in POV-Ray.
>
> Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard
Date: 23 Feb 2008 11:28:04
Message: <47c04994$1@news.povray.org>
Dennis Miller wrote:
>> it is Apple's problem...
> 
> (And you figure they are going to fix it?)

LOL - in the old days when Apple wasn't all about marketing and Jobs, yes, 
nowadays, no :-(

> What do you think the problem is? A shame not to work under the newest OS.

The problem is somewhere in the PowerPC emulator because that is were the 
crash is. It isn't in any POV-Ray code.

	Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From:
Subject: Re: Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard
Date: 13 Apr 2009 23:20:00
Message: <web.49e400bfc36bf036c38c10760@news.povray.org>
I have a similar problem. I'm running OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger, latest update as of
Apr 2009), on a (possibly) first-gen intel iMac (White acryillic).

POV-Ray 3.6 will crash soon after the splash screen.

Megapov will start up, but crash on File > Open...

I followed the MegaPOV installation instructions up to the "include" settings,
but without being able to open files that's as far as I can go.

The curious thing is, I used to have no problems on another iMac I used before
(Aluminium intel iMac), at my former job.

Very frustrating...




"MacGuyver" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Anyone out there trying to use Pov-Ray and Mac OS 10.5? Pov-Ray tries to open,
> and seems to get most of the way, but then it unexpectedly quits on me. Has
> anyone else had this problem? Better yet, has anyone found a solution?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> MacGuyver


Post a reply to this message

From: PTV
Subject: Re: Pov-Ray 3.6 and Mac OS 10.5 Leopard
Date: 12 May 2009 13:25:00
Message: <web.4a09b04ec36bf036ed7984610@news.povray.org>
I just installed POV-Ray 3.6 with MegaPOV 1.2.1r3 (Universal) on Intel MacBook
running 10.5.6

No problems so far.


> I have a similar problem. I'm running OS X 10.4.11 (Tiger, latest update as of
> Apr 2009), on a (possibly) first-gen intel iMac (White acryillic).
>
> POV-Ray 3.6 will crash soon after the splash screen.
>
> Megapov will start up, but crash on File > Open...
>
> I followed the MegaPOV installation instructions up to the "include" settings,
> but without being able to open files that's as far as I can go.
>
> The curious thing is, I used to have no problems on another iMac I used before
> (Aluminium intel iMac), at my former job.
>
> Very frustrating...
>
>
>
>
> "MacGuyver" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Anyone out there trying to use Pov-Ray and Mac OS 10.5? Pov-Ray tries to open,
> > and seems to get most of the way, but then it unexpectedly quits on me. Has
> > anyone else had this problem? Better yet, has anyone found a solution?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > MacGuyver


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.