POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Installing POV-Ray on OS X 10.4.6 x86 Server Time
16 Sep 2021 07:13:30 EDT (-0400)
  Installing POV-Ray on OS X 10.4.6 x86 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)  
From: Brian McGuinness
Subject: Installing POV-Ray on OS X 10.4.6 x86
Date: 6 Jun 2006 22:20:01
Message: <web.44863746cb9b9a0bdcb530360@news.povray.org>
I get the impression that the Mac binary for POV-Ray is for Power PC
systems, an I have an Intel-based Mac, so I presume that I should get one
of the POV-Ray sources and compile it on my system.  But should I use the
Mac sources or the Unix sources?  I have X11 installed, should that be
required.  My GCC version is i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am new to Macs and am learning my way
around.  I have been using Fedora Core and have run POV-Ray there and on a
Windows box.  I don't mind using a command-line-only version of POV-Ray if
necessary.

Thanks.

--- Brian


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Installing POV-Ray on OS X 10.4.6 x86
Date: 7 Jun 2006 00:25:24
Message: <44865534$1@news.povray.org>
Brian McGuinness wrote:
> I get the impression that the Mac binary for POV-Ray is for Power PC
> systems, an I have an Intel-based Mac, so I presume that I should get one
> of the POV-Ray sources and compile it on my system.

No, like all Mac OS X compatible applications, it also works on Apple Intel PCs.

>  But should I use the
> Mac sources or the Unix sources?  I have X11 installed, should that be
> required.  My GCC version is i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1.

You can just compile the Unix sources. You do not have the software
necessary to built the Mac sources.

	Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Brian McGuinness
Subject: Re: Installing POV-Ray on OS X 10.4.6 x86
Date: 7 Jun 2006 08:25:00
Message: <web.4486c58728df1ed81d9472d50@news.povray.org>
OK, that's good to know.

Thanks for your help.

--- Brian


Post a reply to this message

From: Yvo Smellenbergh
Subject: Re: Installing POV-Ray on OS X 10.4.6 x86
Date: 7 Jun 2006 13:21:54
Message: <1hgktgf.12viqy1tr6riyN%yvo.s@gmx.net>
Brian McGuinness <mcg### [at] fduedu> wrote:

> I get the impression that the Mac binary for POV-Ray is for Power PC
> systems, an I have an Intel-based Mac, so I presume that I should get one
> of the POV-Ray sources and compile it on my system.  But should I use the
> Mac sources or the Unix sources?  I have X11 installed, should that be
> required.  My GCC version is i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1.
Like Thorsten said, it will run on Intel based systems but Rosetta was
not designed to run an application like POV-Ray.
It is very slow.
You can compile a command line version yourself but you could also use
MegaPOV which is a new universal binary which will run very fast on
Intel-based or PPC based Macintosh computers.
And it has a nice GUI (editor, templates) as well.

You can find it at:
http://megapov.inetart.net
Go to the download page and search for the Mac section.

> Any advice would be appreciated as I am new to Macs and am learning my way
> around.  I have been using Fedora Core and have run POV-Ray there and on a
> Windows box.  I don't mind using a command-line-only version of POV-Ray if
> necessary.
Not necessary ;-)

Yvo 


-- 
-----------------------------------
MegaPOV at:  http://megapov.inetart.net
MacMegaPOV at:  http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh
E-mail: yvo### [at] gmxnet


Post a reply to this message

From: Brian McGuinness
Subject: Re: Installing POV-Ray on OS X 10.4.6 x86
Date: 7 Jun 2006 15:10:00
Message: <web.4487237728df1ed81d9472d50@news.povray.org>
yvo### [at] gmxnet (Yvo Smellenbergh) wrote:
> ...
> You can compile a command line version yourself but you could also use
> MegaPOV which is a new universal binary which will run very fast on
> Intel-based or PPC based Macintosh computers.
> And it has a nice GUI (editor, templates) as well.
>
> You can find it at:
> http://megapov.inetart.net
> Go to the download page and search for the Mac section.
>
> Yvo

Thanks, but according to the web page at that address, POV-Ray must be
installed in order to use MegaPOV.

--- Brian


Post a reply to this message

From: Yvo Smellenbergh
Subject: Re: Installing POV-Ray on OS X 10.4.6 x86
Date: 7 Jun 2006 17:02:20
Message: <1hgl3y0.9ytxem8nzgqgN%yvo.s@gmx.net>
Brian McGuinness <mcg### [at] fduedu> wrote:

> yvo### [at] gmxnet (Yvo Smellenbergh) wrote:

> 
> Thanks, but according to the web page at that address, POV-Ray must be
> installed in order to use MegaPOV.
Only to be able to use the include and scene files, that is the only
reason.

Yvo

-- 
-----------------------------------
MegaPOV at:  http://megapov.inetart.net
MacMegaPOV at:  http://users.skynet.be/smellenbergh
E-mail: yvo### [at] gmxnet


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.