POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : "Overall total time" counts "Parse time" twice? (3.5 0173) Server Time
1 May 2024 17:54:20 EDT (-0400)
  "Overall total time" counts "Parse time" twice? (3.5 0173) (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Charles Albrecht
Subject: "Overall total time" counts "Parse time" twice? (3.5 0173)
Date: 10 Mar 2003 14:36:29
Message: <charlesa-6A0667.12362810032003@netplex.aussie.org>
First, the proposed patch, generated based on the following revision:

/*
* $File: //depot/povray/3.5/source/povmsend.cpp $
* $Revision: #25 $
* $Change: 1896 $
* $DateTime: 2002/08/19 04:15:16 $
* $Author: thorsten $
* $Log$
*/

Extracted from
  http://www.povray.org/ftp/pub/povray/Official/Macintosh/povmac_s.sit
for the 3.5 release. I notice that the unix sources from
  ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Official/Unix/povuni_s.tgz
have an older version of povmsend.cpp.

% diff -c povmsend.cpp povmsend.cpp_patch
*** povmsend.cpp        Mon Mar 10 11:48:24 2003
--- povmsend.cpp_patch  Mon Mar 10 11:48:00 2003
***************
*** 911,919 ****
        if(err == kNoErr)
           BuildRTime(&msg, kPOVAttrib_FrameTime, tp, th, tr, tp + th +
tr);
        if((opts.FrameSeq.FrameType == FT_MULTIPLE_FRAME) && (err ==
kNoErr))
           err = BuildRTime(&msg, kPOVAttrib_AnimationTime,
!                           tparse_total + tp, tphoton_total + th,
trender_total + tr,
!                           tparse_total + tphoton_total + trender_total
+ tp + th + tr);
        if(err == kNoErr)
           err = POVMSMsg_SetupMessage(&msg, kPOVMsgClass_RenderOutput,
kPOVMsgIdent_RenderTime);
        if(err == kNoErr)
--- 911,920 ----
        if(err == kNoErr)
           BuildRTime(&msg, kPOVAttrib_FrameTime, tp, th, tr, tp + th +
tr);
        if((opts.FrameSeq.FrameType == FT_MULTIPLE_FRAME) && (err ==
kNoErr))
+          /* tparse_total and tphoton_total already include the frame
contribution */
           err = BuildRTime(&msg, kPOVAttrib_AnimationTime,
!                           tparse_total, tphoton_total, trender_total +
tr,
!                           tparse_total + tphoton_total + trender_total
+ tr);
        if(err == kNoErr)
           err = POVMSMsg_SetupMessage(&msg, kPOVMsgClass_RenderOutput,
kPOVMsgIdent_RenderTime);
        if(err == kNoErr)

Using the official 3.5, build 0173 for Macintosh...

I have noticed that during the rendering portion of multiframe
renderings
- FT_MULTIPLE_FRAME - the frame parse time, tparse_frame, appears to be
counted twice when calculating the overall time for display in the
rendering window. At the end of the render phase, the total drops back
down to the correct value as it begins parsing again.

The observed behavior is detailed at the end..

At worst, this is merely a cosmetic issue.

The cause itself is in the core and not in the macintosh-specific
portions of the codebase.

In povray.cpp, FrameRender() includes this section at the beginning of
rendering.

   // Get total parsing time.
   tparse_total += tparse;
   tparse_frame = tparse;
   tparse = 0;

Later, within FrameLoop(), each call to:
    Send_RenderTime(0, 0, 0);

Sends the animation time messsage using:

if((opts.FrameSeq.FrameType == FT_MULTIPLE_FRAME) && (err == kNoErr))
   err = BuildRTime(&msg, kPOVAttrib_AnimationTime,
       tparse_total + tp, tphoton_total + th, trender_total + tr,
       tparse_total + tphoton_total + trender_total + tp + th + tr);

(here, tp == tparse_frame)

However, tparse_total already includes the contribution from
tparse_frame.
In fact, tparse_frame is zero up until the point at which it is
assigned - right after its contribution is added to tparse_total. The
same is true of tphoton_frame, so the patch takes that into account as
well. I don't have a CodeWarrior install (for macintosh compile), so
I haven't performed a test build, but the patch should address the
cosmetic display problem of rendering information during

The observed behavior is this - with a model that parses in 30 seconds
and renders in 60 seconds.

During Parsing:

Parse Time: 0:00
Render Time: 0:00
Total Time: 0:00
Overall Total Time: 0:00

1 second into Rendering:

Parse Time: 0:30
Render Time: 0:01
Total Time: 0:31
Overall Total Time: 1:01

Just before rendering ends

Parse Time: 0:30
Render Time: 0:60
Total Time: 1:30
Overall Total Time: 2:00

Start of new parsing phase

Parse Time: 0:00
Render Time: 0:00
Total Time: 0:00
Overall Total Time: 1:30

I'll issue a formal bug report using the mac.povray.org website.

-Charles

Post a reply to this message

Whoops, that patch shouldn't have been wrapped...

[...]
!                           tparse_total, tphoton_total, trender_total + tr,