POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : [Q] POV-Ray in command line Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:12:47 EDT (-0400)
  [Q] POV-Ray in command line (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: Francois LE COAT
Subject: [Q] POV-Ray in command line
Date: 27 Jan 2021 10:30:08
Message: <60118700$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I use POV-Ray in command line under macOS Catalina and Macports,
and run it about 2000 times, in order to render 2000 images. My
issue is when you launch `povray` in command line, it opens a
menu bar, and displays an icon in the macOS dock ...

Is there a command line option, that prevents POV-Ray from displaying
a menu bar and an icon in the dock ? Because when you launch it 2000
times, for 2000 images, the Apple Finder and the Macintosh become
unusable ... The computer keeps displaying the bar and the icon,
and you can't do anything else with the Macintosh. You have to wait
that the 2000 images are rendered ... You have to wait half an hour,
so that POV-Ray stops rendering.

There must be a solution. Because you can't do anything else, before
POV-Ray has stopped rendering ... This is very painful ...

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

--

<http://eureka.atari.org/>

Post a reply to this message

On 1/27/21 10:30 AM, Francois LE COAT wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use POV-Ray in command line under macOS Catalina and Macports,
> and run it about 2000 times, in order to render 2000 images. My
> issue is when you launch `povray` in command line, it opens a
> menu bar, and displays an icon in the macOS dock ...
>
> Is there a command line option, that prevents POV-Ray from displaying
> a menu bar and an icon in the dock ?

Unsure if true with the macOS version you are running, but with
Linux/Unix versions (which only display an icon) you can use '-d' to not
create a preview display and icon or '--preview text' (or '-y text) to
use the inbuilt text only mode.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

>> I use POV-Ray in command line under macOS Catalina and Macports,
>> and run it about 2000 times, in order to render 2000 images. My
>> issue is when you launch `povray` in command line, it opens a
>> menu bar, and displays an icon in the macOS dock ...
>>
>> Is there a command line option, that prevents POV-Ray from displaying
>> a menu bar and an icon in the dock ?
>
> Unsure if true with the macOS version you are running, but with
> Linux/Unix versions (which only display an icon) you can use '-d' to no
> create a preview display and icon or '--preview text' (or '-y text) to

> use the inbuilt text only mode.
>
> Bill P.

My .INI file is :
"
All_Console=Off
Antialias=On
Bounding_Threshold=3
Continue_Trace=Off
Display=Off
Draw_Vistas=On
Height=640
Input_File_Name="./pacman_mod.pov"
Library_Path="/usr/share/povray-3.7"
Library_Path="/usr/share/povray-3.7/ini"
Library_Path="/usr/share/povray-3.7/include"
Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.7"
Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.7/ini"
Library_Path="/usr/local/share/povray-3.7/include"
Output_File_Name="./pacman.png"
Output_File_Type=N
Output_To_File=On
Split_Unions=On
Test_Abort=Off
Verbose=On
Width=640
Work_Threads=12
"
I don't know how I should modify it, so that is doesn't use a menu bar,
and show an icon in the macOS dock. "Display=Off" is set, so what shoul
I do more ? I want POV-Ray to be quiet ... The menu bar and icon are
embarrassing. That prevents from using anything else than POV-Ray :-(

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

--

<http://eureka.atari.org/>

Post a reply to this message

you need to find out who created that port and figure out what they did.
The regular Unix code does not create any menu bar or icon because it
simply knows nothing about Mac OS X.

The other thing is that you should not be starting 2000 instances of
POV-Ray at the same time...

Thorsten