POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : POV-Ray on Intel Mac AND two versions at once? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:12:38 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray on Intel Mac AND two versions at once? (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Tim Nikias
Subject: POV-Ray on Intel Mac AND two versions at once?
Date: 15 Jun 2008 07:38:38
Message: <4854ff3e$1@news.povray.org>
Hello all!

I'm fairly new to the Mac (half a year now, roughly) and just yesterday
compiled POV-Ray 3.6.1 on it, tinkered around and figured where stuff is
supposed to go and to get set in order to work the way I'm used to from
my WinXP PC.

Now, the 3.6 version has a little (known) bug in relation to macros and
passing on arguments. Sometimes it won't return/update the parameters
and instead leave them at the old value when the macro is finished.
AFAIK (haven't been POV-active for some time now) there was/is no
"official" fix, because the problem seems to be related to the
compilers, not the source-code.

So, two questions: IF there is a working fix, can someone point me to
it? I could modify the source accordingly (given that the fix is easy to
understand, I'm not that experienced with coding and compiling) and
compile my own version of 3.6.1.t (t for Tim ;-).

Or, the other solution (which worked fine for me on the PC) is to
install/compile POV-Ray 3.5, which didn't have the macro-parameter-bug.

However, I have no clue how to set that up properly, because I figure
both compilations would end up with a console-command "povray". Any
pointers to a Mac-Newbie on how to solve that "properly", e.g. would
renaming the 3.5 povray to povray35 hurt? And some files just install to
a folder named povray, with no 3.6 subfolder or such, so I'd be
overwriting files, wouldn't I?

I'll probably be tinkering with it all at work today, but even though I
MIGHT find a solution, I'd rather not spend days recompiling the sources
a couple of times a day to repair what I damaged. ;-)

Regards,
Tim

--
aka "Tim Nikias"