POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : importing, exporting, and luminous spheres Server Time
1 Jun 2024 22:57:11 EDT (-0400)
  importing, exporting, and luminous spheres (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Vic Pary
Subject: importing, exporting, and luminous spheres
Date: 15 Nov 1999 09:06:14
Message: <3830137C.B63AB4D8@twcny.rr.com>
Hi All,
  I'm new to POV-Ray and 3D modelling.  After learning to think in 3D
with
RDS demo and Blob Sculptor, I finally realized that POV-Ray is far more
efficient
for the math-based animations I have in mind (orbiting binary stars,
animated
technical plots, etc.).

I use an iMac OS8.6 and POV-ray 3.1g.r1 and would like to export
animations
to PowerMac 6100/av.

I have three questions:

1) what are the import/export options?
        e.g. Color-It! to POV-ray
        e.g. Bryce 4 to POV-ray
        e.g. 3D Modeller (like Blob Sculptor) to POV-ray
                e.g. POV-ray to RDS
                e.g. POV-ray to AfterEffects or Premiere

2) Are ther tutorials online for making luminous spheres?  I need to
make 2 or more
luminous spheres in the foreground similar in appearance to the
sky_sphere.   The
POV.doc seems vague on how to use Object Media to create halo effects or
perhaps
I need to read more on transparent pigment filters.

3) I have some money to spend on commercial software and am looking for
recommendations from experienced POV-ray users.
  I am considering the Bryce/Canoma/Poser package at around $300
       and AfterEffects at around $600.
My animations will mostly concern planetary terrains, starfields,
luminous spheres,
planetary rings, and animated technical plots.
Is there any software you use along with POV-ray that you find
essential?
I already have Blob Sculptor demo, ColorIt!, and MS Office 98.

Thanks in advance.

-Vic Pary

Post a reply to this message