POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Re: hash character Server Time
26 Jun 2024 13:01:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hash character (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Rick
Subject: Re: hash character
Date: 13 Apr 1999 11:11:37
Message: <37135099.0@news.povray.org>
I am confused. Do you mean the # sign? All Macs have this (it's
shift-3) and it's what I use for my includes; it works fine. Perhaps
there's something about this question I don't understand...

>    I'm new to POVray, so apologies in advance if I'm missing something
>obvious here. The problem is that there is no hash key on my Apple
>Extended keyboard, which makes typing in language directives such as
>'(hash)include "colors.inc"' a bit tricky. I realise that I can use the
>Templates menu to include directives automatically, but sometimes I
>prefer to type it straight in . Does anyone else have this problem? Is
>there an alternative to the hash key in the Mac version?

Post a reply to this message

>      I am confused. Do you mean the # sign? All Macs have this (it's
> shift-3) and it's what I use for my includes; it works fine. Perhaps
> there's something about this question I don't understand...

Not on my Mac! I use a UK-style Apple extended keyboard, so shift-3 gives

symbol anywhere on my keyboard.

Emma Ellis

Post a reply to this message

>>      I am confused. Do you mean the # sign? All Macs have this (it's
>> shift-3) and it's what I use for my includes; it works fine. Perhaps
>> there's something about this question I don't understand...

That is for US keyboards only...

> Not on my Mac! I use a UK-style Apple extended keyboard, so shift-3 gives

> symbol anywhere on my keyboard.

Use alt-3 instead if you have set the keybord type in the keyboard control
panel to "British".

    Thorsten

BTW, for a German keyboard (which I use) it is "\" on US and Britsh
keyboards.  And you can lookup the layout (for any keyboard style) with the
Key Caps utility application that comes with Mac OS.

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

A generalized method for locating ascii characters that are not on your
keyboard is to use KeyFinder. This utility will display all of the
characters that any selected font contains and will show you the keystrokes
for it.

steve