POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Differentiable Rendering with POV-Ray for 3D Reconstruction? Server Time
25 Oct 2024 19:53:09 EDT (-0400)
  Differentiable Rendering with POV-Ray for 3D Reconstruction? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Harry Peverell
Subject: Differentiable Rendering with POV-Ray for 3D Reconstruction?
Date: 9 Oct 2024 07:55:00
Message: <web.67066e9b8021259b3bb2382ab1b44dfe@news.povray.org>
Hi everyone,

I'm currently exploring the possibility of leveraging POV-Ray for 3D
reconstruction, specifically within the context of differentiable rendering. I
wanted to ask:

Are there any existing works or projects that have combined differentiable
rendering techniques with POV-Ray to achieve 3D reconstruction?

I would greatly appreciate any insights, references, or experiences you could
share on this topic. Thank you in advance for your help!

Harry

Post a reply to this message

"Harry Peverell" <har### [at] 163com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,

what happened with your mesh ?  (or are you "strictly one-way" ? :-))

> I'm currently exploring the possibility of leveraging POV-Ray for 3D
> reconstruction, specifically within the context of differentiable rendering. I
> wanted to ask:
>
> Are there any existing works or projects that have combined differentiable
> rendering techniques with POV-Ray to achieve 3D reconstruction?
>
> I would greatly appreciate any insights, references, or experiences you could
> share on this topic. Thank you in advance for your help!

in the web interface, click search, and try "francois le coat mars".

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> "Harry Peverell" <har### [at] 163com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
>
> what happened with your mesh ?  (or are you "strictly one-way" ? :-))
>

> > I'm currently exploring the possibility of leveraging POV-Ray for 3D
> > reconstruction, specifically within the context of differentiable rendering. I
> > wanted to ask:
> >
> > Are there any existing works or projects that have combined differentiable
> > rendering techniques with POV-Ray to achieve 3D reconstruction?
> >
> > I would greatly appreciate any insights, references, or experiences you could
> > share on this topic. Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> in the web interface, click search, and try "francois le coat mars".
Hi jr

Thank you for the insights you provided on the previous question. Initially, I
was using a .ply file exported from Blender, which I then converted to a .pov
file using AccuTrans. I'm not entirely sure if the normals were included in that
conversion process. However, when I converted the mesh to an .obj file using
MeshLab and then to a .pov file with AccuTrans, the errors in the Povray
rendering mysteriously disappeared. Moving forward, I will test the mesh
according to the method you suggested to identify the cause of the issue.

Harry

Post a reply to this message

"Harry Peverell" <har### [at] 163com> wrote:
> Thank you for the insights you provided on the previous question. Initially, I
> was using a .ply file exported from Blender, which I then converted to a .pov
> file using AccuTrans. I'm not entirely sure if the normals were included in that
> conversion process. However, when I converted the mesh to an .obj file using
> MeshLab and then to a .pov file with AccuTrans, the errors in the Povray
> rendering mysteriously disappeared.

very good news that a different route to convert has eliminated the problem.
and, I think, an interesting "data point".

> Moving forward, I will test the mesh
> according to the method you suggested to identify the cause of the issue.

Bald Eagle not only put it better than I did, he also "grokks" all this stuff
better than self :-).

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

"Harry Peverell" <har### [at] 163com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently exploring the possibility of leveraging POV-Ray for 3D
> reconstruction, specifically within the context of differentiable rendering. I
> wanted to ask:
>
> Are there any existing works or projects that have combined differentiable
> rendering techniques with POV-Ray to achieve 3D reconstruction?
>
> I would greatly appreciate any insights, references, or experiences you could
> share on this topic. Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Harry

Hi Harry,

Short answer is no.

I've been interested in photogrammetry and inverse graphics for some time, and
Mr. LeCoat has done some nice work with image processing:

https://news.povray.org/povray.advancedusers/thread/%3C5bb67852%40news.povray.org%3E

You might like to search his other recent posts, and perhaps contact him
directly.

I would welcome any contributions toward making tools like this available for
POV-Ray, even if it's just a roadmap describing what needs to be done at each
step, so that people can work on any given aspect in the chain.

- Bill

Post a reply to this message