POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Source code of version before 2011 Server Time
27 Jul 2024 08:11:44 EDT (-0400)
  Source code of version before 2011 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: oldstuffwork
Subject: Source code of version before 2011
Date: 11 Jun 2024 10:10:00
Message: <web.666859e7f483f126b76cc736abfeab3c@news.povray.org>
Dear Pov-Ray community,

I'm interested in some old version of Pov-Ray and can't seem to  find the source
code from before the move to GitHub (which coincided wit the release of 3.7.0).
Is it still available somewhere?
I'm broadly interested in code changes between 2010-2013 for a research project.

Best,

Post a reply to this message

> I'm interested in some old version of Pov-Ray and can't seem to  find the source
> code from before the move to GitHub

ftp.povray.org/Old-Version

from 1.0 to 3.62, but not all seem to have code.

ingo

Post a reply to this message

> > I'm interested in some old version of Pov-Ray and can't seem to  find the source
> > code from before the move to GitHub
>
> ftp.povray.org/Old-Version
>
> from 1.0 to 3.62, but not all seem to have code.
>
> ingo

I stumbled on that page. Do you know which VCS (if any) the project was using
before switching to Github.com?

Post a reply to this message

On 11.06.2024 16:50, oldstuffwork wrote:
> "ingo" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> "oldstuffwork" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>> Dear Pov-Ray community,
>>>
>>> I'm interested in some old version of Pov-Ray and can't seem to  find the source
>>> code from before the move to GitHub
>>
>> ftp.povray.org/Old-Version
>>
>> from 1.0 to 3.62, but not all seem to have code.
>>
>> ingo
>
> I stumbled on that page. Do you know which VCS (if any) the project was using
> before switching to Github.com
Perforce (I think starting somewhere along with development on the final
stages of 3.1) and before that just diff files (up to 3.0).

Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten
Date: 11 Jun 2024 14:26:58
Message: <666896f2$1@news.povray.org>
On 11.06.2024 16:31, ingo wrote:
> "oldstuffwork" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Dear Pov-Ray community,
>>
>> I'm interested in some old version of Pov-Ray and can't seem to  find the source
>> code from before the move to GitHub
>
> ftp.povray.org/Old-Version
>
> from 1.0 to 3.62, but not all seem to have code.

I think they all have code, but the archive naming varies a lot and
compression formats of some platforms' distributions may not be
supported by a lot of modern decompression tools any more.

Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 27 Jun 2024 09:45:01
Message: <667d6cdd$1@news.povray.org>
Le 11/06/2024 à 20:26, Thorsten a écrit :
> On 11.06.2024 16:31, ingo wrote:
>> "oldstuffwork" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>> Dear Pov-Ray community,
>>>
>>> I'm interested in some old version of Pov-Ray and can't seem to  find
>>> the source
>>> code from before the move to GitHub
>>
>> ftp.povray.org/Old-Version
>>
>> from 1.0 to 3.62, but not all seem to have code.
>
> I think they all have code, but the archive naming varies a lot and
> compression formats of some platforms' distributions may not be
> supported by a lot of modern decompression tools any more.
>
> Thorsten

But you would need the libraries also from that time.
For instance, libpng IIRC has mutated and is not compatible (or it was
jpeg or tiff ?)

Also, compilers might have evolved to be more strict, and you might now
have warnings/errors to fix for modern systems.