POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macro for connecting n points through Spline Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:00:02 EDT (-0400)
  Macro for connecting n points through Spline (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Kima
Subject: Macro for connecting n points through Spline
Date: 20 Apr 2023 06:50:00
Message: <web.6441184a860526a665103170d427f3e5@news.povray.org>
I know how Spline works for two points, but how can we create a smooth line of
spheres passing through n points? I am looking for something like line smoothing
in graphs/charts.

I assume we have to create n-1 Splines, but how do we calculate the control
points to have a smooth curvature over points?

In the tutorial on Bezier patches, there is an explanation for aligning the
control points for Bezier surfaces, but I am not sure if we need to apply the
same approach here.

Post a reply to this message

> In the tutorial on Bezier patches, there is an explanation for aligning the
> control points for Bezier surfaces, but I am not sure if we need to apply the
> same approach here.

For interpolation between points I would not use a Bezier spline as there are
many ways to position the handles/control points. Use one of quadratic_spline,
cubic_spline, natural_spline or one from my curve macro's
https://ingoogni.nl/download/ There is also the Interpolate macro in math.inc
that does cosine interpolation or exponential interpolation.

ingo

Post a reply to this message

> For interpolation between points I would not use a Bezier spline as there are
> many ways to position the handles/control points. Use one of quadratic_spline,
> cubic_spline, natural_spline or one from my curve macro's
> https://ingoogni.nl/download/ There is also the Interpolate macro in math.inc
> that does cosine interpolation or exponential interpolation.
>
> ingo

WOW! Your collection of spline macros is quite something. I will use them.
Thanks for sharing :-)

Post a reply to this message

> I know how Spline works for two points, but how can we create a smooth line of
> spheres passing through n points? I am looking for something like line smoothing
> in graphs/charts.
>
> I assume we have to create n-1 Splines, but how do we calculate the control
> points to have a smooth curvature over points?
>
> In the tutorial on Bezier patches, there is an explanation for aligning the
> control points for Bezier surfaces, but I am not sure if we need to apply the
> same approach here.

My bez.inc file has several functions to do this.

https://www.joshuarenglish.com/povray/bez.html

Post a reply to this message

> I know how Spline works for two points, but how can we create a smooth line of
> spheres passing through n points? I am looking for something like line smoothing
> in graphs/charts.
>
> I assume we have to create n-1 Splines, but how do we calculate the control
> points to have a smooth curvature over points?
>
> In the tutorial on Bezier patches, there is an explanation for aligning the
> control points for Bezier surfaces, but I am not sure if we need to apply the
> same approach here.

You need to make sure that the control points 1-in from the end of each spline
segment is on the same line, so that the endpoints are tangent.  IIRC, that is
covered in the documentation somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvPPXbo87ds&pp=ygUNZnJleWEgc3BsaW5lcw%3D%3D

I also have a PDF that covers this specifically for POV-Ray

- BW

Post a reply to this message