POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2 Server Time
27 Apr 2024 20:45:38 EDT (-0400)
  Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2 (Message 63 to 72 of 72)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Request: HIGH resolution stl conversion to mesh / mesh2
Date: 13 Mar 2023 15:05:00
Message: <web.640f72d69ce67fcf1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>

> That is a *very* good comment Bill. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks - it's always hard to know where these things will lead, and hopefully
there are a lot more interesting and educational discoveries to be made.

> I don't know if you know the archaeological work at the Apollo Temple in
> Dydima, Turkey. Scratched on the inner walls of the sanctuary are the
> faint outlines of the construction plans made by the architects, and
> they did use geometry pretty close to what you describe. The same for
> the columns (some very subtle design indeed!) etc.

Looks like the big article I'd like to lay my hands on is

Lothar Haselberger
Scientific American
Vol. 253, No. 6 (December 1985), pp. 126-133 (10 pages)

It's on JSTOR is anyone has access.
https://www.jstor.org/stable/24967878

Post a reply to this message

Op 13/03/2023 om 20:00 schreef Bald Eagle:

>> That is a *very* good comment Bill. Thanks for sharing.
>
> Thanks - it's always hard to know where these things will lead, and hopefully
> there are a lot more interesting and educational discoveries to be made.

I am sure there are indeed.

>> I don't know if you know the archaeological work at the Apollo Temple in
>> Dydima, Turkey. Scratched on the inner walls of the sanctuary are the
>> faint outlines of the construction plans made by the architects, and
>> they did use geometry pretty close to what you describe. The same for
>> the columns (some very subtle design indeed!) etc.
>
> Looks like the big article I'd like to lay my hands on is
>
> Lothar Haselberger
> Scientific American
> Vol. 253, No. 6 (December 1985), pp. 126-133 (10 pages)
>
> It's on JSTOR is anyone has access.
> https://www.jstor.org/stable/24967878

That's him indeed. Unfortunately, I do not have access. :-(

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 14 Mar 2023 03:59:38
Message: <6410296a$1@news.povray.org>
This is about the Pantheon in Rome, but it mentions Didyma.

https://journal.eahn.org/article/id/7477/

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 18 Mar 2023 13:40:00
Message: <web.6415f6ef9ce67fcf1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
You're really not going to believe this:

https://unsigned.io/artefact-analysis/

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Date: 18 Mar 2023 16:10:58
Message: <64161ad2$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2023-03-18 à 13:37, Bald Eagle a écrit :

> You're really not going to believe this:
>
> https://unsigned.io/artefact-analysis/

Yes, hard to believe how hard some peoples work to impose some arbitrary
meaning to some objects or proportions.

«Conclusions In Summary

Based on the best understanding we currently have of the object, and on
the knowledge of normal fundamental limits of physics and laws of
nature, we have to conclude:

     That this object was fabricated on a highly sophisticated
subtractive manufacturing system, from a solid piece of granite.
     That the manufacturing system would require, at the very least,
sophisticated mechanical technology and high-precision components.
     That the manufacturing system would necessarily have been guided by
an automated control system, which could read the design as input, and
produce the required motions as output.
     That a turing machine, of considerable sophistication, would most
likely have been employed to create and operate on the design, and to
finally transfer it to the manufacturing system.

There is no way, in which we can attribute the production of this
artefact, to anyone who do not possess, at minimum, the level of
technological sophistication and capabilities mentioned above. This
raises some very interesting questions regarding the origin of the
object, which we hope to be able to explore in future work.»

WHY does the author totally ignore that it could have been made entirely
by hand WITHOUT any technology more advanced than Bronze age tools and
lot of available time.
Once roughly carved, the object can get meticulously refined and
smoothed by hand.

Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 18 Mar 2023 17:51:34
Message: <64163266$1@news.povray.org>
On 2023-03-18 16:10 (-4), Alain Martel wrote:
> Le 2023-03-18 à 13:37, Bald Eagle a écrit :
>>
>> You're really not going to believe this:
>>
>> https://unsigned.io/artefact-analysis/
>>
> Yes, hard to believe how hard some peoples work to impose some arbitrary
> meaning to some objects or proportions.
>
> «Conclusions In Summary
>
> [snip]
>
> There is no way, in which we can attribute the production of this
> artefact, to anyone who do not possess, at minimum, the level of
> technological sophistication and capabilities mentioned above. This
> raises some very interesting questions regarding the origin of the
> object, which we hope to be able to explore in future work.»

ALIENS!

Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Date: 19 Mar 2023 03:10:00
Message: <web.6416b4fa9ce67fcf17bac71e8ffb8ce3@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> WHY does the author totally ignore that it could have been made entirely
> by hand WITHOUT any technology more advanced than Bronze age tools and
> lot of available time.
> Once roughly carved, the object can get meticulously refined and
> smoothed by hand.

Because they never tried. Because they have no clue what can be achieved with
simple hand tools and time. Because they don't think about the amount of time
one had in those days. Time to observe, time to learn a skill, time to produce.

ingo

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Mar 2023 08:56:12
Message: <6417066c$1@news.povray.org>
Op 19-3-2023 om 08:08 schreef ingo:
> Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>
>> WHY does the author totally ignore that it could have been made entirely
>> by hand WITHOUT any technology more advanced than Bronze age tools and
>> lot of available time.
>> Once roughly carved, the object can get meticulously refined and
>> smoothed by hand.
>
> Because they never tried. Because they have no clue what can be achieved with
> simple hand tools and time. Because they don't think about the amount of time
> one had in those days. Time to observe, time to learn a skill, time to produce.
>
> ingo

Amen.

I was going to answer exactly in this same vein indeed. That whole
"sophisticated" mathematical description just doesn't prove... anything
at all about the real technical skill of ancient sculptors.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 4 Nov 2023 20:30:00
Message: <web.6546e16a9ce67fcf1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
New video!

New STL models!

New rendering fodder!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzFMDS6dkWU

https://unchartedx.com/site/vase-scan-resources/

Enjoy!  :)

- Bald Eagle

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 5 Nov 2023 07:20:05
Message: <65478875@news.povray.org>
Op 5-11-2023 om 01:27 schreef Bald Eagle:
> New video!
>
> New STL models!
>
> New rendering fodder!
>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzFMDS6dkWU
>
> https://unchartedx.com/site/vase-scan-resources/
>

> Enjoy!  :)
>

> - Bald Eagle

Thank you sir! Just in time: I just broke my last vase remaining! :-)

--
Thomas