POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Artifacts when tracing somewhat high degree poly Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:15:08 EDT (-0400)
  Artifacts when tracing somewhat high degree poly (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Adrien
Subject: Re: Artifacts when tracing somewhat high degree poly
Date: 6 Dec 2022 14:05:00
Message: <web.638f91e399cae61a75a7ea2178e7deb4@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "Adrien" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Fantastic, thanks a lot ! ...
>
> great.  (and, pleasure)
>

> > ... Thought I get an error from the +ac0.99 option, I'll try to figure out why.
>
> you do use a v3.8?
>

> regards, jr.

No 3.7, I had compiled 3.8 a while ago but it broke when I upgraded my distro.
Will compile again.

Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Date: 7 Dec 2022 01:50:00
Message: <web.6390378099cae61ac0ce110b6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Adrien" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> No 3.7, I had compiled 3.8 a while ago but it broke when I upgraded my distro.
> Will compile again.

<https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tags>

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 8 Dec 2022 08:06:07
Message: <6391e13f@news.povray.org>
Op 6-12-2022 om 10:03 schreef Adrien:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use Povray to plot a surface defined by a polynomial equation
> spitted out by an auxiliary program. However, whenever the degree of that
> polynomial is 10 or more I get a bunch of artifacts/black dots. Is there a way
> to fix that ? Either directly in Povray, or in the auxiliary program ?

wrapping up my experiments, I think I got a acceptable solution for your
problem. Use the following additions/changes to your code (see attached
image):

//=====================================================
//+w640 +h640 +am3 +a0.01 +ac0.99 +r3 +bm2 +bs8

#version 3.8;

global_settings {
   assumed_gamma 1.0
   radiosity {
     pretrace_start 16/max(image_width,image_height)
     pretrace_end   4/max(image_width,image_height)
     minimum_reuse  4/(max(image_width,image_height)-0.05)
     #if (Stochastic)
       count 10
     #else
       count 50, 1000
     #end
     nearest_count 20, 3
     error_bound 1
     recursion_limit 2
     low_error_factor .3
     gray_threshold 0.0
     //minimum_reuse 0.015
     maximum_reuse 0.1
     brightness 1

     adc_bailout 0.01/2
     normal off
     media off
     always_sample off
     //max_sample 1.0
   }
}

light_source {
   2*<5, 10, -40>
   color White
   area_light <5, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 5>, 5, 5
   adaptive 2
   area_illumination on
   jitter
   circular
   orient
   /*fade_power 1
   fade_distance 30*/
}
//=====================================================

All the rest is unchanged. Whether radiosity is "necessary" here is a
matter of taste.

Very interesting poly btw...

--
Thomas