POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : cyclone fence Server Time
5 Oct 2022 14:47:24 EDT (-0400)
  cyclone fence (Message 1 to 9 of 9)  
From: David Kraics
Subject: cyclone fence
Date: 13 Aug 2022 09:15:00
Message: <web.62f7a2a6b4110b7d1c1b6180a57e0@news.povray.org>
I did a render of my high school but didn't add the cyclone fencing because the
thought of that many calculations frightens me. Is there a way to cheat a
cyclone fence since the school is seen from a distance?


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: cyclone fence
Date: 13 Aug 2022 10:10:00
Message: <web.62f7b07dc97524821f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"David Kraics" <bar### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> I did a render of my high school but didn't add the cyclone fencing because the
> thought of that many calculations frightens me. Is there a way to cheat a
> cyclone fence since the school is seen from a distance?

A standard chain link fence seems to be just interlocking spirals of wire.
You could make 2 spirals, 1 for each "offset" and then just repeat those 2
objects.

If want to try to fake it, maybe either just do a criss-cross grid of cylinders,
or use an image map with an alpha channel.

What calculations do you think you need to do?

This was done with just spheres:
https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.5781842fa68f756e5e7df57c0%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=43821
8&toff=750


- Bill


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: cyclone fence
Date: 13 Aug 2022 10:35:40
Message: <62f7b6bc$1@news.povray.org>
Op 13-8-2022 om 15:09 schreef David Kraics:
> I did a render of my high school but didn't add the cyclone fencing because the
> thought of that many calculations frightens me. Is there a way to cheat a
> cyclone fence since the school is seen from a distance?
> 

Not sure what a cyclone fence is  ;-)  as I am not living in the US, but 
BaldEagle's suggestions are an excellent suggestion. See also this 
ancient (but very important) site through the WayBackMachine, which may 
suggest a solution to you:

https://web.archive.org/web/20060820230007/http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/index.htm

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: cyclone fence
Date: 13 Aug 2022 21:55:00
Message: <web.62f85581c97524821f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"David Kraics" <bar### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> I did a render of my high school but didn't add the cyclone fencing because the
> thought of that many calculations frightens me. Is there a way to cheat a
> cyclone fence since the school is seen from a distance?

Quick and dirty, but accurate and to scale.

Should give a solid start.   :)




#version 3.8;
global_settings {assumed_gamma 1.0}

#include "shapes3.inc"

camera {
    location  <0, 48, -96>
    right x*image_width/image_height
    look_at   <0, 24, 0>
}

light_source {<-140, 200, -300> rgb 1 shadowless}


#declare RH =
union {
 object {Segment_of_Torus (
    0.15, // radius major,
    0.15/2, // radius minor,
    -90  // segment angle (in degrees)
    )
 rotate  y*45
 rotate -x*45
 translate -x*0.15
 }
 //cylinder {<0, 0, 0.15>, <-2, 0, 0.15> 0.15/2}

 cylinder {<0, 0, 0.15>, <-2, 0, 0.15> 0.15/2 rotate -z*45}
}


#declare LH =
union {
 object {Segment_of_Torus (
    0.15, // radius major,
    0.15/2, // radius minor,
    -90  // segment angle (in degrees)
    )
  rotate -y*90
  rotate -y*45
  rotate  x*45
  translate x*0.15
 }
 cylinder {<0, 0, 0.15>, <2, 0, 0.15> 0.15/2 rotate z*45 translate -z*0.15*3/2}

 //scale <1, 1, -1>
}

#declare Coil1 =
union {
 #for (n, 1, 17)
  object {RH translate y*n*1.4*2}
  object {LH translate y*(1.4 + n*1.4*2) translate -x*1.4}
 #end
 pigment {rgb <1, 0.7, 0>}
}

#declare Coil2 = object {Coil1 scale <-1, 1, 1>}

#declare Pair =
union {
 object {Coil1}
 object {Coil2 translate -x*0.15}
}

#for (N, -20, 20)
 object {Pair translate x*(1.4-0.15)*N*2}
#end


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: cyclone fence
Date: 14 Aug 2022 02:14:57
Message: <62f892e1$1@news.povray.org>
And finally, for the lazy, from a site I highly recommend:

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/objects/obj_160e.htm
http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/x_sam/sam_160e.htm

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: cyclone fence
Date: 14 Aug 2022 08:25:00
Message: <web.62f8e873c97524821f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> And finally, for the lazy, from a site I highly recommend:
>
> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/objects/obj_160e.htm
> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/x_sam/sam_160e.htm
>
> --
> Thomas

But of course.
I should have known, and should have remembered.

Lohmueller's site is like some ancient shrine, the Hall of Records beneath the
Sphinx's paws, a vast store of knowledge waiting to yield its secrets to those
who ask and only need know where to look.

Thanks for the link, again, Thomas.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: cyclone fence
Date: 15 Aug 2022 02:19:15
Message: <62f9e563@news.povray.org>
Op 14/08/2022 om 14:20 schreef Bald Eagle:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>> And finally, for the lazy, from a site I highly recommend:
>>
>> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/objects/obj_160e.htm
>> http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/x_sam/sam_160e.htm
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
> 
> But of course.
> I should have known, and should have remembered.
> 
> Lohmueller's site is like some ancient shrine, the Hall of Records beneath the
> Sphinx's paws, a vast store of knowledge waiting to yield its secrets to those
> who ask and only need know where to look.
> 
> Thanks for the link, again, Thomas.
> 

You are welcome :-)

I often tend to forget to visit when in need of some object or other. It 
is an incredible collection which I increasingly address for my own 
benefit. Friedrich's death in 2017 has been a great loss for all of us, 
but first of all for Andrea of course.

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: cyclone fence
Date: 15 Aug 2022 13:55:00
Message: <web.62fa87a6c97524821f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:

> I often tend to forget to visit when in need of some object or other. It
> is an incredible collection which I increasingly address for my own
> benefit. Friedrich's death in 2017 has been a great loss for all of us,
> but first of all for Andrea of course.

Yes, there's _SO_ much stuff that he's done, that some of the info inevitably
gets pushed off the end of the grey-matter memory stack.

I would concur about his loss - on both points.   As much as those of us who
only knew him from his technical accomplishments and contributions felt his
loss, Andrea must have suffered a loss a million times larger.  They certainly
seemed to be a team who shared many interests and worked together on many common
projects.

That said, I would like to again petition the site manager(s) to create a
special section where an independent archive Of Friedrich Lohmueller's work can
be accessed in its entirety.

As Mike Williams' website is down, and no one has heard from him in quite some
time, I fear that he also has passed on.  The full archive of his invaluable
work ought be made fully available again here as well.

There are also a number of interesting repositories of work that have been lost
due to any number of reasons, and likely would make a handsome addition to a
special archive section of the website.  Chris Colefax comes immediately to
mind, and surely there are others....


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: cyclone fence
Date: 16 Aug 2022 08:49:51
Message: <62fb926f$1@news.povray.org>
Op 15-8-2022 om 19:51 schreef Bald Eagle:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
> 
>> I often tend to forget to visit when in need of some object or other. It
>> is an incredible collection which I increasingly address for my own
>> benefit. Friedrich's death in 2017 has been a great loss for all of us,
>> but first of all for Andrea of course.
> 
> Yes, there's _SO_ much stuff that he's done, that some of the info inevitably
> gets pushed off the end of the grey-matter memory stack.
> 
Yes indeed. I was late in coming across and use, for instance, his 
railway tracks. A challenge!

> I would concur about his loss - on both points.   As much as those of us who
> only knew him from his technical accomplishments and contributions felt his
> loss, Andrea must have suffered a loss a million times larger.  They certainly
> seemed to be a team who shared many interests and worked together on many common
> projects.
> 
Yes indeed.

> That said, I would like to again petition the site manager(s) to create a
> special section where an independent archive Of Friedrich Lohmueller's work can
> be accessed in its entirety.
> 
I strongly agree with this.

> As Mike Williams' website is down, and no one has heard from him in quite some
> time, I fear that he also has passed on.  The full archive of his invaluable
> work ought be made fully available again here as well.
> 
> There are also a number of interesting repositories of work that have been lost
> due to any number of reasons, and likely would make a handsome addition to a
> special archive section of the website.  Chris Colefax comes immediately to
> mind, and surely there are others....
> 
Certainly.


-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.