POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help With Image Server Time
7 Jul 2022 01:40:14 EDT (-0400)
  Help With Image (Message 11 to 20 of 24)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: kurtz le pirate
Subject: Re: Help With Image
Date: 1 Apr 2022 04:32:54
Message: <6246b8b6$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/03/2022 20:54, Craig Lindley wrote:
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone has access to the actual
> POV file for this image I would love to have it.

I made this kind of picture.
I just found this old code in my archives.

// --------------------------------------------------------------------
#declare index=0;
#declare nBilles=32; //64;
#declare dAngle=4;

#declare dRayon=0.50;
#declare rayon = 1-dRayon;
#declare xPos=0;
#declare rot=0;

#declare spirale = union {
 #declare index=0;
 #while(index<nBilles)
  #declare rayon=rayon+dRayon;
  #declare rot=rot+dAngle;
  sphere {
   <0,0,0>, rayon
   translate xPos*x
   rotate rot*y
   }
  #if(debugging) #debug concat("Rayon = ",str(rayon,7,2)," xPos =
",str(xPos,7,2)," Rot = ",str(rot,7,2),"\n") #end
  #declare xPos=xPos+rayon;
  #declare index=index+1;
 #end
 }


#declare theColor = rgb <0,0,0>;
#declare index=0;
#while(index<360)
 #declare theColor = rgb CH2RGB(index);
 object {
  spirale
  rotate index*y
  pigment { color theColor }
  }
 #declare index=index+10;
#end
// --------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that help




-- 
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: Help With Image
Date: 1 Apr 2022 10:40:00
Message: <web.62470e532a8c6bc6fc0c8de6cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> ...
> I made this kind of picture.
> I just found this old code in my archives.
> ...

"heavy, man.  psychedelic."  ;-)


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'klp.png' (578 KB)

Preview of image 'klp.png'
klp.png


 

From: Craig Lindley
Subject: Re: Help With Image
Date: 16 Apr 2022 13:30:00
Message: <web.625afc6b2a8c6bc62f73d2b2bc520638@news.povray.org>
"Craig Lindley" <cal### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I came across the attached image the other day that I thought was beautiful so I
> decided to look at raytracing again. I hadn't done any raytracing since about
> 1993 so the POVRAY program has changed quite a bit. I am using the 3.8 version
> of POVRAY and it is amazing. I retraced one of my old images that took 33 hours
> in the 1990's and today on my Mac it took about 10 minutes.
>
> Anyway. I would like to understand how this image was produced because I would
> like to do something like it for this years Christmas card.
>
> It seems to be made up of Fibonacci spirals but I am not sure. I looked at the
> POVRAY documentation for these types of spirals but I cannot seem to duplicate
> the image accurately. I would guess that each color is its own Fibonacci spiral
> but how they are positioned so they don't interfere with each other escapes me.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone has access to the actual
> POV file for this image I would love to have it.
>
> Thanks in advance.

After struggling with Doyle circle packing code for a week I finally have an
image which is close to the original image I posted. I've attached the image and
a POV file in case anyone wants to play around with it. I wrote the circle
packing code in Java and then transferred the generated spheres into a POV file.
If anyone is interested in the Java code, let me know and I can get it to you.

Cheers

Craig Lindley


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'spheresdoyle.png' (692 KB)

Preview of image 'spheresdoyle.png'
spheresdoyle.png


 

From: Craig Lindley
Subject: Re: Help With Image
Date: 16 Apr 2022 13:30:00
Message: <web.625afcdf2a8c6bc62f73d2b2bc520638@news.povray.org>
"Craig Lindley" <cal### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I came across the attached image the other day that I thought was beautiful so I
> decided to look at raytracing again. I hadn't done any raytracing since about
> 1993 so the POVRAY program has changed quite a bit. I am using the 3.8 version
> of POVRAY and it is amazing. I retraced one of my old images that took 33 hours
> in the 1990's and today on my Mac it took about 10 minutes.
>
> Anyway. I would like to understand how this image was produced because I would
> like to do something like it for this years Christmas card.
>
> It seems to be made up of Fibonacci spirals but I am not sure. I looked at the
> POVRAY documentation for these types of spirals but I cannot seem to duplicate
> the image accurately. I would guess that each color is its own Fibonacci spiral
> but how they are positioned so they don't interfere with each other escapes me.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If anyone has access to the actual
> POV file for this image I would love to have it.
>
> Thanks in advance.

And here is the poverties file


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'spheresdoyle.pov.txt' (10 KB)

From: jr
Subject: Re: Help With Image
Date: 17 Apr 2022 13:15:00
Message: <web.625c4a5a2a8c6bc6cf1917686cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Craig Lindley" <cal### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> ...
> After struggling with Doyle circle packing code for a week I finally have an
> image which is close to the original image I posted.

worth it, I think.

(best viewed through sunglasses perhaps :-))


> I've attached the image and
> a POV file in case anyone wants to play around with it. I wrote the circle
> packing code in Java and then transferred the generated spheres into a POV file.
> If anyone is interested in the Java code, let me know and I can get it to you.

thanks.  have no interest in Java but wouldn't mind knowing why you chose it
over SDL when you implemented the code (given that geometrical calculations are
SDL's "bread-and-butter").


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

From: Craig Lindley
Subject: Re: Help With Image
Date: 17 Apr 2022 20:05:00
Message: <web.625ca9d32a8c6bc62f73d2b2bc520638@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> "Craig Lindley" <cal### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > ...
> > After struggling with Doyle circle packing code for a week I finally have an
> > image which is close to the original image I posted.
>
> worth it, I think.
>
> (best viewed through sunglasses perhaps :-))
>
>
> > I've attached the image and
> > a POV file in case anyone wants to play around with it. I wrote the circle
> > packing code in Java and then transferred the generated spheres into a POV file.
> > If anyone is interested in the Java code, let me know and I can get it to you.
>
> thanks.  have no interest in Java but wouldn't mind knowing why you chose it
> over SDL when you implemented the code (given that geometrical calculations are
> SDL's "bread-and-butter").
>
>
> regards, jr.

I did it in Java because there is a lot of math involved. It is necessary to
solve the initial-value problem of differential equations using the Runge-Kutta
method which I am sure could
be done in SDL but there would be many pages of macros/functions to do so. Also
Java is easier to debug.


Post a reply to this message

From: Craig Lindley
Subject: Re: Help With Image
Date: 18 Apr 2022 10:45:00
Message: <web.625d789e2a8c6bc62f73d2b2bc520638@news.povray.org>
"Craig Lindley" <cal### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > "Craig Lindley" <cal### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > > ...
> > > After struggling with Doyle circle packing code for a week I finally have an
> > > image which is close to the original image I posted.
> >
> > worth it, I think.
> >
> > (best viewed through sunglasses perhaps :-))
> >
> >
> > > I've attached the image and
> > > a POV file in case anyone wants to play around with it. I wrote the circle
> > > packing code in Java and then transferred the generated spheres into a POV file.
> > > If anyone is interested in the Java code, let me know and I can get it to you.
> >
> > thanks.  have no interest in Java but wouldn't mind knowing why you chose it
> > over SDL when you implemented the code (given that geometrical calculations are
> > SDL's "bread-and-butter").
> >
> >
> > regards, jr.
>
> I did it in Java because there is a lot of math involved. It is necessary to
> solve the initial-value problem of differential equations using the Runge-Kutta
> method which I am sure could
> be done in SDL but there would be many pages of macros/functions to do so. Also
> Java is easier to debug.

Here is another image using the same data after I worked on the sphere's
texture/pigment


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'spheresdoyle.png' (1601 KB)

Preview of image 'spheresdoyle.png'
spheresdoyle.png


 

From: Craig Lindley
Subject: Re: Help With Image
Date: 18 Apr 2022 12:30:00
Message: <web.625d91e62a8c6bc62f73d2b2bc520638@news.povray.org>
"jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hi,
>
> kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > ...
> > I made this kind of picture.
> > I just found this old code in my archives.
> > ...
>
> "heavy, man.  psychedelic."  ;-)
>
>
> regards, jr.

I tried to render this image but ended up with this. Is this a bug in poverty
3.8?


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'kip.png' (187 KB)

Preview of image 'kip.png'
kip.png


 

From: Craig Lindley
Subject: Re: Help With Image
Date: 18 Apr 2022 16:00:00
Message: <web.625dc22d2a8c6bc62f73d2b2bc520638@news.povray.org>
"Craig Lindley" <cal### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> > > ...
> > > I made this kind of picture.
> > > I just found this old code in my archives.
> > > ...
> >
> > "heavy, man.  psychedelic."  ;-)
> >
> >
> > regards, jr.
>
> I tried to render this image but ended up with this. Is this a bug in poverty
> 3.8?

Never mind. When I restarted pov the problem went away


Post a reply to this message

From: jr
Subject: Re: Help With Image
Date: 19 Apr 2022 03:25:00
Message: <web.625e63002a8c6bc6cf1917686cde94f1@news.povray.org>
hi,

"Craig Lindley" <cal### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> ...
> > I tried to render this image but ended up with this. Is this a bug in poverty
> > 3.8?
>
> Never mind. When I restarted pov the problem went away

nice "glitch" :-).  (I use command-line only, no UI)


regards, jr.


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.