POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Whatever happened to +rtr and .obj import? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:06:31 EDT (-0400)
  Whatever happened to +rtr and .obj import? (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: The Traveler
Subject: Whatever happened to +rtr and .obj import?
Date: 27 Sep 2021 09:15:00
Message: <web.6151c2e7397d1181dd31149be3dfee7c@news.povray.org>
Howdy folks, Yeah, I'm a bit behind the times with povray. But I see in the
latest 8.2 manual that Real Time Tracing (+rtr) is still mentioned. I tried
experimenting with +rtr in a few test files but got nothing more than a blank
render window.(Lubuntu Linux 20.04 64-bit running a self-compiled 3.8.0-Beta2
version).

As for .obj import, I've read some posts where it was included, then dropped
(due to problems with the code base?) but nothing further. Any illumination on
it's future? Tools to convert other 3D file formats to mesh/mesh2 on Linux, such
as obj, are practically non-existent while .obj is well, rather ubiquitous.

Just curious. Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

"The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> Howdy folks, Yeah, I'm a bit behind the times with povray. But I see in the
> latest 8.2 manual that Real Time Tracing (+rtr) is still mentioned. I tried
> experimenting with +rtr in a few test files but got nothing more than a blank
> render window.(Lubuntu Linux 20.04 64-bit running a self-compiled 3.8.0-Beta2
> version).

Someone else reported the same problem-- I think within the last 6 months(?). I
thought I had a link to that discussion, but can't find it.

The +rtr +kla feature does still work in the Windows version(s), the last time I
checked.

Post a reply to this message

> "The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> > Howdy folks, Yeah, I'm a bit behind the times with povray. But I see in the
> > latest 8.2 manual that Real Time Tracing (+rtr) is still mentioned. I tried
> > experimenting with +rtr in a few test files but got nothing more than a blank
> > render window.(Lubuntu Linux 20.04 64-bit running a self-compiled 3.8.0-Beta2
> > version).
> >

> Someone else reported the same problem-- I think within the last 6 months(?). I
> thought I had a link to that discussion, but can't find it.
>
> The +rtr +kla feature does still work in the Windows version(s), the last time I
> checked.

Thanks Kenneth. Well, another mystery it seems. I went back to 3.7 on the same
Lubuntu box and get the same results. Blank render frame. Clicking on it closes
but there is no image output to file either.

Not a big deal, but I'm writing a Linux-version of a Povray-centric IDE in Qt
and trying to find out what works and what doesn't.

Cheers.

Post a reply to this message

"The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:

> Not a big deal, but I'm writing a Linux-version of a Povray-centric IDE in Qt
> and trying to find out what works and what doesn't.

You ought to have a chat with Dick Balaska:

http://www.buckosoft.com/qtpovray/

Post a reply to this message

> "The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
>
> > Not a big deal, but I'm writing a Linux-version of a Povray-centric IDE in Qt
> > and trying to find out what works and what doesn't.
>
> You ought to have a chat with Dick Balaska:
>
> http://www.buckosoft.com/qtpovray/

Thanks BE for the heads up. I think I'll look over his code and perhaps fork it
from Github. I'll give him a shout when I know more. Cheers.

Post a reply to this message

> "The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> > ...I tried
> > experimenting with +rtr in a few test files but got nothing more than a blank
> > render window.(Lubuntu Linux 20.04 64-bit running a self-compiled 3.8.0-Beta2
> > version).
> >

> Someone else reported the same problem-- I think within the last 6 months(?). I
> thought I had a link to that discussion, but can't find it.

Well, here's an older discussion that I managed to find...

https://news.povray.org/povray.animations/thread/%3Cweb.594d3bddd61573accf0bfa9c0%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=432813&mto
p=419831

Post a reply to this message

> > "The Traveler" <jho### [at] northrimnet> wrote:
> > > ...I tried
> > > experimenting with +rtr in a few test files but got nothing more than a blank
> > > render window.(Lubuntu Linux 20.04 64-bit running a self-compiled 3.8.0-Beta2
> > > version).
> > >

> > Someone else reported the same problem-- I think within the last 6 months(?). I
> > thought I had a link to that discussion, but can't find it.

<https://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3C6111299c%40news.povray.org%3E/>
??

The Traveler :

rtr works in WFP's povr branch: