POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts Server Time
28 Mar 2024 18:43:29 EDT (-0400)
  using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Florin Andrei
Subject: using POV-Ray as 3D renderer for Python scripts
Date: 12 Sep 2021 17:55:00
Message: <web.613e76baa1b49b241d17ce849d9fedd@news.povray.org>
I'm not happy with what I've seen so far in terms of rendering 3D graphs in
Python. I want to be able to draw many points in 3D, each with its own
coordinates and other attributes such as size and color, and render the scene
with optional dynamic parameters (such as rotating it around some axis).

But that would mean POV-Ray would have to take a scene file with thousands of
small objects (the dots), each point being a small opaque sphere. The file will
be machine-generated and fairly large. Should I be concerned with the
performance of the renderer?

The scene will otherwise be simple - I will draw a system of coordinates, and
optionally grids of coordinates. I'm not planning on using textures.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not happy with what I've seen so far in terms of rendering 3D graphs in
> Python. I want to be able to draw many points in 3D, each with its own
> coordinates and other attributes such as size and color, and render the scene
> with optional dynamic parameters (such as rotating it around some axis).
>
> But that would mean POV-Ray would have to take a scene file with thousands of
> small objects (the dots), each point being a small opaque sphere. The file will
> be machine-generated and fairly large. Should I be concerned with the
> performance of the renderer?
>
> The scene will otherwise be simple - I will draw a system of coordinates, and
> optionally grids of coordinates. I'm not planning on using textures.

I'm sometime using POV-Ray as you're describing and I'm satisfied with the
results. However it completely depends on your particular project. What machine
do you use for rendering, what time do you expect for rendering, how many frames
in your animation, how many objects and which rendering parameters, etc...
A short animation with basic rendering parameters and few thousands of sphere,
on a modern computer, doesn't look to me as a big deal.

Pascal

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not happy with what I've seen so far in terms of rendering 3D graphs in
> Python. I want to be able to draw many points in 3D, each with its own
> coordinates and other attributes such as size and color, and render the scene
> with optional dynamic parameters (such as rotating it around some axis).
>
> But that would mean POV-Ray would have to take a scene file with thousands of
> small objects (the dots), each point being a small opaque sphere. The file will
> be machine-generated and fairly large. Should I be concerned with the
> performance of the renderer?
>
> The scene will otherwise be simple - I will draw a system of coordinates, and
> optionally grids of coordinates. I'm not planning on using textures.

There are scenes containing several millions of objects that render
rather quickly. I recently rendered a scene containing over 50 000 000
cones using high quality radiosity that rendered in about 12 hours. It
was a fractal from an old IRTC contest where I increased recursion level
by 3 and added radiosity.

As your objects are simple spheres (one of the faster shape to render),
opaque, non-reflective, counting only in the thousands and plain
texturing, POV-Ray should have no problem rendering it.
In the case of large files, simple shapes, parsing time is often
affected more than render time.

On a modern computer, memory requirement is a non-issue for even
millions of spheres. Those could even be individually textured with
almost no effect on the performance.

I would suggest using +bm2 on the command line to use the octree
partitioning feature. When you have thousands of objects, it usually
improve the rendering performance.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not happy with what I've seen so far in terms of rendering 3D graphs in
> Python. I want to be able to draw many points in 3D, each with its own
> coordinates and other attributes such as size and color, and render the scene
> with optional dynamic parameters (such as rotating it around some axis).

Just something you may be interested in, from an aesthetics point of view:
http://scpovplot3d.sourceforge.net/

> But that would mean POV-Ray would have to take a scene file with thousands of
> small objects (the dots), each point being a small opaque sphere. The file will
> be machine-generated and fairly large. Should I be concerned with the
> performance of the renderer?

Absolutely not.  Thousands is trivial, millions is not a problem.

> The scene will otherwise be simple - I will draw a system of coordinates, and
> optionally grids of coordinates. I'm not planning on using textures.

I would say that if you are writing an include file with python, then all you'd
need to do is write it as an array of the centers of the spheres, and the radii.
 You may find that implementing your scene using blobs and not spheres could be
faster.

There's also the possibilities of writing your data as a df3 file and rendering
it as media, or using the df3 file to render it as an isosurface.  Just for
playing around.

But overall, what you're looking to do should even be challenging for POV-Ray to
handle and render in minutes, if not less.

Post a reply to this message