POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray vs uberpov am3 Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:36:54 EDT (-0400)
  povray vs uberpov am3 (Message 11 to 20 of 33)
From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: povray vs uberpov am3
Date: 17 Sep 2020 15:10:01
Message: <web.5f63b34aaa461a8cd98418910@news.povray.org>
Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> The «plugin» version need to reside in a sub-folder of another
> installation. It piggy back on another installed version.

Yes, that is what I am currently doing-- the UberPOV v1.37 'plug-in' is
piggybacking on my v3.7.0 installation, as per Clikpa's old instructions.
UberPOV is actually a v3.8.0.alpha+xxx (in Windows, anyway); what is strange is
that the "+ac0.9" command is not recognizied there, whereas it *is* recognized
in the other 3.8.0xx versions I have.

Yet it DOES work for Ton in *his* UberPOV version.

> You may want to install the [UberPOV] standalone version, then, replace the
> executable with the latest version.

That's an interesting idea; I guess I could try that as a last resort.

Post a reply to this message

> Alain Martel <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:
>

> > The «plugin» version need to reside in a sub-folder of another
> > installation. It piggy back on another installed version.
>
> Yes, that is what I am currently doing-- the UberPOV v1.37 'plug-in' is
> piggybacking on my v3.7.0 installation, as per Clikpa's old instructions.
> UberPOV is actually a v3.8.0.alpha+xxx (in Windows, anyway); what is strange is
> that the "+ac0.9" command is not recognizied there, whereas it *is* recognized
> in the other 3.8.0xx versions I have.
>
> Yet it DOES work for Ton in *his* UberPOV version.
>

> > You may want to install the [UberPOV] standalone version, then, replace the
> > executable with the latest version.
>
> That's an interesting idea; I guess I could try that as a last resort.

My version of uberpov is from https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV, the last
version, dated 10 February 2015.
My version of povray 3.8 is from https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/tags, the
last version, v3.8.0-x.10064738, dated 19 February 2019.
Povray 3.7 doesn't have the stochastic rendering mode am3, that's probably why
your plugin on version 3.7.0 doesn't work, but I don't have any experience with
the piggy back.
BTW Uberpov out of the box doesn't compile right now, because the
boost-libraries have changed. I wouldn't mind checking my modified files in into
Uberpov, but I need permission to do that, and I don't want to create another
fork of povray. It's complicated and confusing with all those forks as it is.

Cheers
Ton.

Post a reply to this message