POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Generating "interesting" reflections of light sources on an object Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:03 EDT (-0400)
  Generating "interesting" reflections of light sources on an object (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: noam
Subject: Generating "interesting" reflections of light sources on an object
Date: 14 Oct 2013 18:55:01
Message: <web.525c75f6445f868ce71ca80c0@news.povray.org>
I want to render some geometrical object. It is not part of a scene, I simply
want a nice rendering. I noticed that adding reflections of "real" light sources
gives a much more convincing effect. See e.g.
http://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/povray.mirror/screenshots/screenshot%201.jpg In
this case, of course, I assume a whole room was set up so it'll reflect on the
balls. However, all I need is some minor "realistic-looking" reflection, i.e.
just the "white" parts of the reflections in the image above. I assume there are
some tricks for achieving the desired result without really setting up an entire
scene with real objects, windows etc. Can you give me some tricks for doing
that?
Sorry if this is too vague...

Post a reply to this message

> I want to render some geometrical object. It is not part of a scene, I simply
> want a nice rendering. I noticed that adding reflections of "real" light sources
> gives a much more convincing effect. See e.g.
> http://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/povray.mirror/screenshots/screenshot%201.jpg In
> this case, of course, I assume a whole room was set up so it'll reflect on the
> balls. However, all I need is some minor "realistic-looking" reflection, i.e.
> just the "white" parts of the reflections in the image above. I assume there are
> some tricks for achieving the desired result without really setting up an entire
> scene with real objects, windows etc. Can you give me some tricks for doing
> that?
> Sorry if this is too vague...

In this image Jaime used HDRI-Lighting IIRC. You can find the code (and a lot
more to study) at his web-page:

www.ignorancia.org

Best regards,
Michael

Post a reply to this message

"MichaelJF" <mi-### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> "noam" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > I want to render some geometrical object. It is not part of a scene, I simply
> > want a nice rendering. I noticed that adding reflections of "real" light sources
> > gives a much more convincing effect. See e.g.
> > http://a.fsdn.com/con/app/proj/povray.mirror/screenshots/screenshot%201.jpg In
> > this case, of course, I assume a whole room was set up so it'll reflect on the
> > balls. However, all I need is some minor "realistic-looking" reflection, i.e.
> > just the "white" parts of the reflections in the image above. I assume there are
> > some tricks for achieving the desired result without really setting up an entire
> > scene with real objects, windows etc. Can you give me some tricks for doing
> > that?
> > Sorry if this is too vague...
>
> In this image Jaime used HDRI-Lighting IIRC. You can find the code (and a lot
> more to study) at his web-page:
>
> www.ignorancia.org
>
> Best regards,
> Michael