POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Subsurface Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:10 EDT (-0400)
  Subsurface (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Sereib
Subject: Subsurface
Date: 19 Sep 2013 07:55:00
Message: <web.523ae522b87e3571f4b380a40@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I have a scene with many leaves with a subsurface in their finish block, and a
moon (an isosurface without subsurface block) at the sky.

Without moon OR without subsurface in the global settings, the scene renders
quite fast, while adding the moon AND the subsurface option makes rendering very
slowly.

Since the appearance of the moon does not significantly change the way the
leaves (+ subsurface) look like, it would be a good option to tell POV-Ray the
following:

"When calculating the subsurface of the leaves, don't consider the existence of
the moon"

Setting the leaves and the moon in two different light_groups does not help.

Any idea?

Thank you in advance!

Post a reply to this message

> I have a scene with many leaves with a subsurface in their finish block, and a
> moon (an isosurface without subsurface block) at the sky.
>
> Without moon OR without subsurface in the global settings, the scene renders
> quite fast, while adding the moon AND the subsurface option makes rendering very
> slowly.
>
> Since the appearance of the moon does not significantly change the way the
> leaves (+ subsurface) look like, it would be a good option to tell POV-Ray the
> following:
>
> "When calculating the subsurface of the leaves, don't consider the existence of
> the moon"
>
> Setting the leaves and the moon in two different light_groups does not help.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thank you in advance!

that just seems odd ... if the moon does not have a subsurface block the
it /normally/ shouldn't add to the render time. What are the finish
properties of the moon?

have you tried playing the the subsurface scale parameter in global
settings? for a leaf i'd expect that number to be low both in scale and
translucency (in the finish block)

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Finish#Subsurface_Light_Transport

how many leaves? if it's a lot then try getting the subsurface correct
for just one leaf ... then turn it loose after you get just that nailed down

i'm thinking you're just not being patient enough and that you're /not/
really seeing a bug/problem. hang in there ... with sslt patience is a
virtue