POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Xeon Phi available on Amazon Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Xeon Phi available on Amazon (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: jhu
Subject: Xeon Phi available on Amazon
Date: 30 Apr 2013 14:15:01
Message: <web.518009614c4f5a8f4dadbc10@news.povray.org>
for $2700! So who's willing to plunk down the cash to test Povray on this thing?

BTW, it's an addon card with 64 x86 processors on it. Apparently programming
this thing is the same as programming any other x86 computer.

Here's some benchmarks comparisons between Xeon Phi and NVidia Tesla:

 http://goprallel.sourceforge.net/independent-test-xeon-phi-shocks-tesla-gpu/

Post a reply to this message

> Here's some benchmarks comparisons between Xeon Phi and NVidia Tesla:
>
>  http://goprallel.sourceforge.net/independent-test-xeon-phi-shocks-tesla-gpu/

That link pulls up a 404 error. Is there a typo in it? I tried searching
sourceforge.net itself, but no luck either.

Post a reply to this message

> BTW, it's an addon card with 64 x86 processors on it. Apparently programming
> this thing is the same as programming any other x86 computer.
>
> Here's some benchmarks comparisons between Xeon Phi and NVidia Tesla:

Does POV-Ray 3.7 in fact support real-time raytracing? That would be new
to me...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

> That link pulls up a 404 error. Is there a typo in it? I tried searching
> sourceforge.net itself, but no luck either.

try goparallel instead of goprallel ;)

Post a reply to this message

>> BTW, it's an addon card with 64 x86 processors on it. Apparently
>> programming
>> this thing is the same as programming any other x86 computer.
>>
>> Here's some benchmarks comparisons between Xeon Phi and NVidia Tesla:
>
> Does POV-Ray 3.7 in fact support real-time raytracing? That would be new
> to me...

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Windows_Section_1#Real-Time_Raytracing

Post a reply to this message

> > Here's some benchmarks comparisons between Xeon Phi and NVidia Tesla:
> >
> >  http://goprallel.sourceforge.net/independent-test-xeon-phi-shocks-tesla-gpu/
>
> That link pulls up a 404 error. Is there a typo in it? I tried searching
> sourceforge.net itself, but no luck either.

Oops! Typo.

http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/independent-test-xeon-phi-shocks-tesla-gpu/

Post a reply to this message

Le 30/04/2013 20:11, jhu nous fit lire :
> for $2700! So who's willing to plunk down the cash to test Povray on this thing?
>
> BTW, it's an addon card with 64 x86 processors on it. Apparently programming
> this thing is the same as programming any other x86 computer.
>
> Here's some benchmarks comparisons between Xeon Phi and NVidia Tesla:
>
>  http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/independent-test-xeon-phi-shocks-tesla-gpu/

The parallel test Phi vs Cuda is unrealistic when expanding to povray:
Phi test (and Cuda test) all use many core, local data (small size).

Povray would use many core, global data (huge, the scene): the
bottleneck is going to be the memory bus.

Post a reply to this message

From: waggy
Date: 1 May 2013 10:15:00
Message: <web.51812332bf434ff921be1230@news.povray.org>
"jhu" wrote:
> for $2700! So who's willing to plunk down the cash to test Povray on this thing?
>
> BTW, it's an addon card with 64 x86 processors on it. Apparently programming
> this thing is the same as programming any other x86 computer.

From what I've tried, it's similar to cross-compiling. Unfortunately, POV-Ray's
make file doesn't seem friendly to cross-compiling. I have access to machines
with one or two Phis installed, and expect to try getting POV-Ray to run on the
coprocessors this summer. If successful, I'll post the results.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 1 May 2013 11:43:59
Message: <5181383f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 01.05.2013 16:14, schrieb waggy:
> "jhu" wrote:
>> for $2700! So who's willing to plunk down the cash to test Povray on this thing?
>>
>> BTW, it's an addon card with 64 x86 processors on it. Apparently programming
>> this thing is the same as programming any other x86 computer.
>
>  From what I've tried, it's similar to cross-compiling. Unfortunately, POV-Ray's
> make file doesn't seem friendly to cross-compiling. I have access to machines
> with one or two Phis installed, and expect to try getting POV-Ray to run on the
> coprocessors this summer. If successful, I'll post the results.

Looking forward to it.