POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : small mistake in string documentation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:30:39 EDT (-0400)
  small mistake in string documentation (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Kenneth
Subject: small mistake in string documentation
Date: 22 Apr 2013 06:20:00
Message: <web.51750e1dd57c9a6cc2d977c20@news.povray.org>
.....but an important one, IMO.

In the "String Formatting" section, not too far down from the top, there is a
simple example of formatting use...

#debug "This is one line.\nBut this is another"\n

It doesn't get much simpler than that! Yet it doesn't work (a fatal error)--at
least on the Windows platform. The final quote is in the wrong place. Here's a
corrected version...

#debug "This is one line.\nBut this is another\n"

Yeah, it's a small mistake, but an irritating one; this single non-working
example gave me ZERO confidence about string use (and #debug) when I first
started out, and I avoided them for a long time. (Is it possible that the
example was originally meant for a non-Windows environment?)

Here's the wiki page, BTW...
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:User_Message_Directives#Text_Formatting

Post a reply to this message

> In the "String Formatting" section, not too far down from the top, there is a
> simple example of formatting use...
>
> #debug "This is one line.\nBut this is another"\n
>
> It doesn't get much simpler than that! Yet it doesn't work (a fatal error)--at
> least on the Windows platform. The final quote is in the wrong place. Here's a
> corrected version...
>
> #debug "This is one line.\nBut this is another\n"
>
> Yeah, it's a small mistake, but an irritating one; this single non-working
> example gave me ZERO confidence about string use (and #debug) when I first
> started out, and I avoided them for a long time. (Is it possible that the
> example was originally meant for a non-Windows environment?)
>
> Here's the wiki page, BTW...
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:User_Message_Directives#Text_Formatting

thanks ...

Post a reply to this message

> In the "String Formatting" section, not too far down from the top, there is a
> simple example of formatting use...
>
> #debug "This is one line.\nBut this is another"\n
>
> It doesn't get much simpler than that! Yet it doesn't work (a fatal error)--at
> least on the Windows platform. The final quote is in the wrong place. Here's a
> corrected version...

Won't work on other platforms either. Thanks for spotting this one.

Post a reply to this message