POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : installing a 3.7RC--Anything to watch out for? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:28:39 EDT (-0400)
  installing a 3.7RC--Anything to watch out for? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Kenneth
Subject: installing a 3.7RC--Anything to watch out for?
Date: 4 Dec 2012 13:30:00
Message: <web.50be40c5d54ad773c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
OK, this is going to sound like a very naive post to many in the newsgroups, but
here goes:

I'd very much like to install the latest 3.7RC6 version of POV-Ray on my
single-core Windows XP machine. But the one thing keeping me from doing it is
*fear*: fear that it might overwrite or erase some of my important v3.6.2 files
(like scene files, insert menu files, etc.) This isn't an unfounded fear: I had
a whopping problem when I upgraded from 3.6.1 to 3.6.2--some of my scene files
just vanished into thin air, as well as others. Luckily I had backups for *some*
of them. I never could figure out if I had done anything wrong during the
upgrade.

Anyway, here are my questions:
1) Does 3.7RC6 get installed in it's *own* completely separate set of folders,
or will it be intermingled with my current 3.6.2 stuff?

2) Will I be able to run both 3.7RC6 AND 3.6.2 if I choose to? (Not
simultaneously, of course.)

3) Are there *any* possible problems I should look out for, or is there anything
I need to do beforehand, like hiding all my 3.6.2 files in a 'dummy' folder?

I would certainly appreciate a range of opinions about this; I want the
installation to go *s*m*o*o*t*h*l*y.  Any help would be useful.

Ken

Post a reply to this message