POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : moray to pov rendering Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:39 EDT (-0400)
  moray to pov rendering (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: magicfly
Subject: moray to pov rendering
Date: 28 Jul 2012 00:25:00
Message: <web.501368bc9214726be3f0f120@news.povray.org>
I installed both POVray and Moray onto my system, and they work fine except when
I tell moray to render (by clicking on the render icon) it comes up with an
error message as follows "can not start pov-ray, please start pov-ray manually
and try again". This message comes up whether POV is already running or not.
What am I doing wrong, and can someone help me.

Post a reply to this message

> I installed both POVray and Moray onto my system, and they work fine except when
> I tell moray to render (by clicking on the render icon) it comes up with an
> error message as follows "can not start pov-ray, please start pov-ray manually
> and try again". This message comes up whether POV is already running or not.
> What am I doing wrong, and can someone help me.

First, What POV version are you running with Moray? Moray only works
correctly with version 3.5.

Second, A glitch like this may happen sometimes anyway. Just open
POV-Ray separately, go back to Moray and start the render.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> I installed both POVray and Moray onto my system, and they work fine except when
> I tell moray to render (by clicking on the render icon) it comes up with an
> error message as follows "can not start pov-ray, please start pov-ray manually
> and try again". This message comes up whether POV is already running or not.
> What am I doing wrong, and can someone help me.

You need POV-Ray 3.5 for it to work with Moray.  Maybe they'll fix that
for POV-Ray 4.0*.

*POV-Ray 4.0's release date being an arbitrary, vague 'somday' event.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com

Post a reply to this message

> > I installed both POVray and Moray onto my system, and they work fine except when
> > I tell moray to render (by clicking on the render icon) it comes up with an
> > error message as follows "can not start pov-ray, please start pov-ray manually
> > and try again". This message comes up whether POV is already running or not.
> > What am I doing wrong, and can someone help me.
>
> You need POV-Ray 3.5 for it to work with Moray.  Maybe they'll fix that
> for POV-Ray 4.0*.
>
> *POV-Ray 4.0's release date being an arbitrary, vague 'somday' event.
>
> --
> Tim Cook
> http://empyrean.sjcook.com

Might be that you have same problem as I had few months ago...
In that case you need to change something on the moray exe file.

here is an excerpt from another thread...

Sorry Peter I have been waiting for a response to a reply I sent hours
ago. I will repeat it now.

On 08/04/2012 11:00 AM, Stephen wrote:
 > I have a laptop that does not have PovRay on it. I will download 3.5 and
 > see what happens.

Okay, I did that thing and got the same results as you.
I got Pov 3.5 working by going into the icon's properties and ticking
the disable visual themes box in the compatibility tab. It might be
better to do it to pvengine.exe

Do the same for Moray also set the compatibility to Win XP SP 3

I am sure that this will help but if not post again

--
Regards
     Stephen

Hopes this is of any help...

Peter.

Post a reply to this message

Oh yeah...I do remember that the executable properties needed to be
tweaked for Vista and Win7 to get Moray/POV-Ray working.

Good call.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com

Post a reply to this message

On 28-7-2012 22:52, peter puzzelaar wrote:
[...]

  I got Pov 3.5 working by going into the icon's properties and ticking
> the disable visual themes box in the compatibility tab. It might be
> better to do it to pvengine.exe
>
> Do the same for Moray also set the compatibility to Win XP SP 3

Ah! Yes! I have to note that down somewhere. Good reminder, thanks.

Thomas