POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : wrapping text on a cylinder Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  wrapping text on a cylinder (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: joe
Subject: wrapping text on a cylinder
Date: 9 Jul 2012 10:10:01
Message: <web.4ffae627439edae99949baae0@news.povray.org>
I know this has been talked about numerous times and I have found the following
example...

camera { location <-1.5,4.5,-10> look_at 0 angle 35 }
light_source { <10, 40, -50>, 1 }
plane { y, -2 pigment { checker rgb 1, rgb .5 } }

cylinder
{ -y*2, y*2, 2
  pigment
  { object
    { text { ttf "timrom.ttf", "POV-Ray", 2.1, 0 scale <.1,2,1> }
      pigment { rgb <1,.9,.8> }
      pigment { rgb <.8,.4,.1> }
    }
    warp { cylindrical }
    rotate y*160
  }
  finish { specular 1 }
}

....which works nice except I want the text to be rotated 90 degrees.  Can this
be done or do I have to wrap an imagemap?

Post a reply to this message

> I know this has been talked about numerous times and I have found the following
> example...
>[...]
> .....which works nice except I want the text to be rotated 90 degrees.  Can this
> be done or do I have to wrap an imagemap?

Simply rotate the text object you're using in the object pigment. (As
this may move the object out of the space that's visible when wrapping,
you may need to also apply an additional translation to fix it.)

Post a reply to this message

> > I know this has been talked about numerous times and I have found the following
> > example...
> >[...]
> > .....which works nice except I want the text to be rotated 90 degrees.  Can this
> > be done or do I have to wrap an imagemap?
>
> Simply rotate the text object you're using in the object pigment. (As
> this may move the object out of the space that's visible when wrapping,
> you may need to also apply an additional translation to fix it.)

Ok... thanks.  I was having a rough time finding the text after rotation.  I'll
keep playing.

Post a reply to this message

> Ok... thanks.  I was having a rough time finding the text after rotation.  I'll
> keep playing.

Try it this way:

  #include "shapes.inc"
  pigment
  { object
    { object
      { Center_Object (text { ttf "timrom.ttf", "POV-Ray", 2.1, 0 }, x+y+z)
        scale <.1,2,1>
        rotate <whatever>
      }
      pigment { rgb <1,.9,.8> }