POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Help with updating existing Pov-Ray 3.5 to PovWin362-64bit in Win7 64bit. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:25:13 EDT (-0400)
  Help with updating existing Pov-Ray 3.5 to PovWin362-64bit in Win7 64bit. (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: ahed
Subject: Help with updating existing Pov-Ray 3.5 to PovWin362-64bit in Win7 64bit.
Date: 2 Feb 2012 19:05:01
Message: <web.4f2b2427af7e52d7f8552de20@news.povray.org>
I am running Windows Ultimate 7, 64 bit on a dual CPU computer.  I already have
PovRay 3.5 installed in a Architectural program.

Do I uninstall the old PovRay 3.5 in the Architectural program first and then
install the updated version "PovWin362-64bit.msi," or can I install the update
over top of the old one?

Which update is best for this system, the PovWin362-64bit.msi or the Beta
Pov-Ray 3.7 for Windows?

Are the Pov-Ray 3.7 for Windows 32 or 64 bits?

Appreciate any help I can get. ;-)

ahed

Post a reply to this message

> Do I uninstall the old PovRay 3.5 in the Architectural program first and then
> install the updated version "PovWin362-64bit.msi," or can I install the update
> over top of the old one?

You can uninstall 3.5 or you can keep them side-by-side. If the
architectural program expects 3.5 to be installed it will likely
not work with newer versions.

> Which update is best for this system, the PovWin362-64bit.msi or the Beta
> Pov-Ray 3.7 for Windows?

Definitely 3.7, it will make best use of your dual CPU for rendering

> Are the Pov-Ray 3.7 for Windows 32 or 64 bits?

Both are available at http://www.povray.org/beta/

Post a reply to this message

> > Do I uninstall the old PovRay 3.5 in the Architectural program first and then
> > install the updated version "PovWin362-64bit.msi," or can I install the update
> > over top of the old one?
>
> You can uninstall 3.5 or you can keep them side-by-side. If the
> architectural program expects 3.5 to be installed it will likely
> not work with newer versions.
>
> > Which update is best for this system, the PovWin362-64bit.msi or the Beta
> > Pov-Ray 3.7 for Windows?
>
> Definitely 3.7, it will make best use of your dual CPU for rendering
>
> > Are the Pov-Ray 3.7 for Windows 32 or 64 bits?
>
> Both are available at http://www.povray.org/beta/

Thanks for your reply,

If I keep the 3.5 installed in the architectural program, should I install the
3.7 in the same directory or install it in a separate directory, and if I
install in a separate directory, do you think the architectural program will be
able to access the 3.7?

Thanks again for you help, really appreciated

Ahed

Post a reply to this message